Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Starbuck's Mugs





So, this post is dedicated to my Cyberspace friend M, as she is the one who told me about the New Year's Starbuck's mugs and has passed along her love (or obsession:) with Starbuck's mugs to me. Starbuck's in Japan is a little taste of home. It may not have the same seasonal flavors I am used to in the US, but it looks the same and taste the same as home. The main difference is you do not have the option of decaf fraps like in the US, but some of you would say what is the purpose of going to Starbuck's if you want to get decaf. For me, at 8PM, I need decaf. But I digressed...back to the mugs.

Cyberspace friend M (I know a lot of you have those cyberspace friends - you have met through blogging or through email via a mutual friend but have yet to meet face to face - this is M and she has become a truly dear friend over email) told me about the New Year's mugs in Japan. Japan Starbuck's is the only country in the world to do the New Year's mugs and when she lived here she made a point to get one each year. I decided to adopt her tradition and get not only New Year's mugs but also mugs of where we travel while we are here. I bought three on New Year's Eve - the black and red mugs for the New Year, and one for Nagoya since I have been there but did not buy the mug at the time.

Cyberspace friend M, these pics are for you. Enjoy.

2 comments:

mel said...

Oh, so intricate! Are the stamps/chops on the side the year? They are so different - I love the waves and whale tail, though that could be very controversial - Fuji-san on the red one... very JAPAN and yet, STARBUCKS! Did you look at the bottom to see "Made in Japan"? I love that part. I know, obsession is probably right. ;)

Sheri said...

Shari,
I collected several Starbucks mugs when we lived in China. Only wish I had collected more. They are some of my favorite coffee mugs to use now! I think you've begun a great tradition!