Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Facebook Fast

So, today is September 1 and I have decided to take a month away from facebook. Shocking huh? How can a girl, especially one living 7,000 miles away from lots of family and friends, go without facebook for a month? Well, I am not sure, but I plan to do it. There are many things that brought me to this decision, but for the most part, I simply spend too much time on it. Yes, it is a fun way for me to keep up with people all over the world, but do I need to check it every time I feed the K Man and sit big sister in front of the television? No. I need to focus more on my family and less on other people. It is not like I am "serving" people or helping them by checking their profiles! There are other factors as well that have led me to this decision, but for the most part, I just want a break from it. Now, facebook is a means for me to email people as well, and I have a few friends I email consistently via facebook. I am not deactivating my account and will continue to email these friends this way. So, if you see me on there, that is what I am doing - a quick email. But, in terms of updating my status all the time with something quirky to say or checking out other peoples' status updates, I am declining for the month of September. I used to read all the time when I nursed Miyako - I miss doing that. So I am going to read some books during those nursing times or read to Miyako and play with her while I nurse the K Man. I know some people may "miss" my updates or pictures, but you can check them out here. I am not giving up the internet - just facebook for now. Although some times I do think an internet/computer fast would be good for me as well. We will start with this though. :) And I will break the "rule" if for some reason we have a major natural disaster again and I need to let the world know I am ok...let's hope I do not have to do that.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

You know, I hardly get on facebook any more. I have had to start forcing myself to look at it once a day or else I never find out anything. I just got tired of it. I can understand both why you like cruising around on there and why you would feel like you need a break. I just felt worn out by it. But I decided I need to check in at least a couple times a week so that I find out news, like Kathleen's baby's name. :) I hope you enjoy your facebook fast. What did we do all day before facebook?