Thursday, March 8, 2012

The K Man...is he really 10 months old?




Is this sweet boy really 10 months old already? Where, where does the time go? He is expanding his food intake. I love when they eat whatever you give them and do not complain if it is green. Last night he ate salmon, spinach and broccoli (and he did not need cheese on it like a little 3 year old who lives in our home) and LOVED it. You would have thought I had given him his first birthday cake. He loves tofu, rice crackers (naturally), bananas, bread, and just about anything I offer him. I have been so nervous to offer him food that is not pureed, but he is ready so I am trying to do it more and more. He is so happy. He is just now starting to crawl, but not even on all fours...he does the army crawl, and he can go pretty fast. Little Miss M does not like it because that means he can get to her stuff quickly. Some days she loves him...other days, well, she just does not love him that much. But that is okay. I loved watching him play with the football tonight...we have high hopes little guy! My only complaint with the little man is his night time sleep. Now some of you may be reading this and be like "Shari, stop complaining...my baby is up 3/4 times a night." But he has been through this phase where he is waking up in the middle of the night and will not go back to sleep. And he wakes up early, around 6/6:30 (I think he should sleep 7 to 7, like M does...sleeps 12 hours straight and has been since about 6 months old). I admit, some nights I am so tired I just nurse him and hope he will go back to sleep. Other nights, I move him to the hallway so he does not wake up Sister (they always start the night in the same bedroom) and let him cry it out. Problem is, my personal morning time is being severely interrupted and this is what bothers me most! I used to get up at 5:30, exercise, shower, and enjoy a cup of tea with my Bible before Miyako got up. But with my inconsistent sleep patterns lately, or with a little guy in the hallway who I do not want to wake up, I find myself sleeping until the K Man wakes up, which means no exercise, a very fast shower, and no tea and Bible time to start my day...which makes for a really cranky mama some days. So, K Man, if you are listening, please baby...sleep those solid 12 hours for mama so I can start exercising consistently and have a bit of mama time before the house gets going. And big boy, you need the 12 hours...I know you do...and I know you are big enough to not need a little snack at 2AM. But I still love you...even at 2AM.

5 comments:

Nate and Molly said...

I am convinced the whole 12- hours of continous sleep thing is a myth! haha, well obviously not if Miyako did it. My boys still eat around 10 for a dream feed (though I usually just let them wake up on their own) and they make it to 6 AM on a good night. They used to sleep until 7 and I miss those days terribly! But if they wake up in the middle of the night I almost always nurse them because it's the quickest way for everyone to go back to sleep. But sometimes I feel like I'm creating bad habits that way? I try not to analyze it too much and hope that the sleep "problems" work themselves out over time.

Kim F. said...

Loved this post and a glimpse into your life (for good or ill).
Love you.

expatgourmand said...

Shari I feel your pain, and I believe that most boy babies are too energetic to sleep the whole night through. Zak didn't start sleeping through the night until he was about 7 months, and that was after a few painful days of training through the cry-it-out method. Even then he would only sleep 8 to 9 hours which meant that I was being woken up at 4am or 5am most days when Zak was K's age! I didn't know any better, and had no other children to worry about interrupting their sleep. These days Zak only sleeps 10 hours at night (and that's on a good night!), and he still needs a short nap in the afternoon (he averages on about 11 hours of sleep a day).

Hang in there, I'm sure K's sleep will get better with time!

Erin H said...

Wow. 10 months! What a cutie! Hope you get some sleep too. L gets up at 5 most mornings too, so I understand not being able to get into a good morning routine.

mel said...

morning routine? Ha. I love sleep too much. But I DID draft a schedule which requires that I wake at 6:45. And I turned off the alarm today. Excuse? I was us 2 hours in the night with B who was unsettled for some reason. So I gave myself an out, but I really think I should start and stick to my plan. Tomorrow is soon enough, right? ;)