Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Scrapbook Day October 12, 2012

Scrapbook day for October fell on a Friday. Mondays and Fridays are our days where we have nothing planned in the mornings so I try to do a big outing - a big outing constitutes taking the train and not staying local (within walking or a bike ride distance) and usually involves taking a picnic lunch. Fall is finally here in Tokyo. The weather is fabulous - sunny, unless a typhoon is expected, and in highs around 70 degrees. Perfect. So, on October 12th we ventured out to the Ueno zoo. As I traveled to the zoo I was thinking back to my first time ever going to Ueno zoo. We were living in Tokyo for a short four weeks to "test the waters" and it was the one big thing I tried to do by myself. I did not have to change lines so I figured I could do it. Miss M was young, only 11 months old at the time, and I was determined to get back to our apartment for her nap. By the time I found the lift to take me from the station to the ground level, and then walked my way through the gigantic Ueno park to find the zoo, I spent like 40 minutes rushing through the zoo to see everything so I could get back to the apartment for her nap. My main goal in this first trip to the Ueno zoo was to see a panda, but the panda was not there at the time. So I bought a stuff panda and left the zoo. It was funny remembering that story on this adventure to the zoo. We currently live at the same station we lived at for our four week "visit." On that first visit, the train ride felt like an eternity because I did not know where I was going. However, this past Friday, it was old hat for me - only a 15 minute train ride - very doable with two little ones. I knew exactly where to go for the lift because we frequent this park a lot (not only do they have a zoo and great shaded walking areas, but it holds the National Science and History museum which is a hit with our kids), and I was at the zoo within 30 minutes of leaving my apartment. We took our time, saw the panda (because he or she is there now), ate a picnic lunch, played at a park outside the zoo, and made it home just in time for the K Man's nap (he fell asleep as soon as we walked inside our building). It was a fun day. We only went through half of the zoo because the K Man was getting restless in his stroller and there were loads of children around on a field trip so I did not want to take him out of the stroller for fear he would be trampled. But since the zoo is so close, so easy, and relatively inexpensive, I told Miss M we would head back on another Friday and see the animals we missed. While the K Man napped, Miss M and I did some "school time." We worked puzzles and did some coloring. Then she had her Japanese lesson and I was able to catch up on BSF. The late afternoon was filled with a walk outside by the river, throwing leaves in the river, making sure the K Man did not try to climb in the river, and preparing dinner. Our sitter came that night so that I could go to hot yoga and daddy worked late. Thankfully the kids love her so leaving was not an issue. And hot yoga - let me just say - you have to try it. Just once. If I could do it 4 times a week, I would. I love it that much. It is funny how in time our lives just drastically change. When I was here for those short four weeks, each outing seemed so daunting. Just riding the train one stop to the mall was a big deal for me. Now, I ride my bike to Ginza for hot yoga. Who would have thought? Two of my best friends from here and I got together this past weekend for Indian food and a girls night in while a husband was away. All of us came to Tokyo thinking we would only be here 2 years. We have all now been here more than 2 years and are not sure when we are leaving. We were talking about how we have to stop saying "I will wait until I get back" to our home country because we just do not know when that will be. We really need to be present here, in this fabulous city, and enjoy it to the fullest. It is hard to do in the day to day grind, but having people along the way who understand can help encourage you
as we try to do it together.

2 comments:

expatgourmand said...

Thanks for sharing! It's great to see that you're settling in well and nicely into life in Tokyo. We miss Japan terribly, and we often reminisce about our four years there. Enjoy Japan!!

m said...

Aww, K-man! What a sweetie in that last photo! I'm jealous that you figured out Ueno park. I just never did. We went once, but should have gone more. I'm glad the weather is nice so you can get out and enjoy things easier. It makes such a huge difference. Glad you posted, missing you!