Thursday, October 1, 2009

Romans 8:15

For my Bible Study this week our homework was to memorize Romans 8:15 which says, "For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba Father." I confess LeVan that I did not do my homework during the week, but I think by the time I leave Japan to come back to the States I will know this verse like the back of my hand. I am going to use it as my theme verse while I am here. So, when I get on that large subway system I have nothing to fear! And that was my attitude today when Miyako and I took our first adventure on our own and it was a glorious day.

My day started with taking our Book Club global as I Skyped into the meeting. They even gave me my own chair by putting the laptop in my seat! It was very cool and fun to see my friends and show them our place here in Tokyo. The only problem is I saw a glass of wine on the table and wanted one but realized I should not start that at 8 in the morning. We discussed The Help, which I highly recommend you read. It is a wonderful book.

After Book Club, Miyako and I headed out to the mall, which is one metro stop away from our apartment. We really are in a great location. It takes about 1 minute to walk to the subway station. I was hoping if I left around 9:30 I would beat the morning rush but the train was still pretty crowded. However, when you have a cute baby in a stroller people let you through pretty easily. The nice man who directs people as they get off the subway even pointed me toward the elevator so I would not have to take the escalator with a stroller and gobs of people.

The mall was wonderful. It would have been better if I had about $10,000 to spend on cute trendy clothes for myself and Priss Pooh. Everything is very expensive but oh so cool and trendy. The mall had this playland for older kids that let's them pretend they are part of a city and they get jobs and play in this make believe town like they are adults working full-time jobs. It also had a movie theater which I may have to go back to when Kan is home to see that new Jennifer Anniston movie by myself. Some of the movies are in English with Japanese subtitles and there was this crepe place right by the theater. Yum. Sounds like a nice evening to myself.

On our outing today we also found this place called Ciel Tower, which a lady had recommended to me. It has a kid center specifically for children two and under where you can take your tot to play and get their energy out with toys appropriate for their age. So, I was wanting to go to it at some point but did not know where it was. Well, it is right by the mall so I am looking forward to checking it out. Did I mention it is free? And close? Perfect.

After Miyako's afternoon nap and my P90X yoga (which is one of the hardest things I've done), we walked to the grocery and picked up fixings for dinner. Tonight I made Japanese curry, one of Kan's favorites. I am wondering if it will taste better here than when I make it at home? Hmm...I think it is time to find out...I am hungry.

Miyako did some fun things today. She was holding onto this stool, looked at me with this huge grin, and walked towards me for two steps before she collapsed in my arms. She is so close to walking! It is so cute because she is so proud of herself when she does it and has this huge grin on her face. I also bought her a ball today at the mall. It was sitting on the stool with her toys and I said "Miyako, go get the ball." And she picked up the ball and tossed it to me. What a smart little cookie we have.

Tomorrow Miyako and I are having tea with Dutch missionaries doing a PCA church plant here in Tokyo. I am excited to meet them and have some fellowship. I will let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

Sally said...

Hey Shari, just a post to let you know I'm thinking of you - now a follower, in fact - and appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences in words for all of us. I admire you and love to hear that you're keepin' it real there, while trying new things as well. By the way, you have more willpower than me - if I'd have seen a glass of wine that spurred a craving, it wouldn't have mattered what the local time was! :)

Unknown said...

Haha, sorry we tempted you with the wine! We should have moved your seat away from it! Glad you'll be back for the next meeting, though.