Thursday, January 28, 2010

Leaving on a Jet Plane...

It was September of 1999 and I was boarding a plane in Atlanta, Georgia with 5 other recent college graduates to spend a year in Minsk, Belarus. My friend wanted to cheer us up and started singing "Leaving on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again." It is 10 years later and my life is quite different now. I am not single and heading out on an European adventure. I am married with a one year old child and I am leaving on a jet plane. I truly do not know when I'll be back again. My husband and I are headed to Tokyo, Japan for a 2 to 3 year commitment with his job. My husband is Japanese so we are headed back to his mother country. Right now, my thoughts about this move are so blurry. On the one hand, I am excited about the adventure and the opportunity for my daughter to experience first hand this part of her culture. On the other hand, I am very sad to leave such wonderful friends and family. I know my friends and family will be a phone call away, thanks to the Vonage phone system, but they are quite a few miles away via plane, 7,000 to be exact. We have been so blessed to be surrounded by such great people, who love us and support us. But this is a new chapter for our immediate family, and I do look forward to creating memories in Tokyo together. We leave tomorrow and fly to Tokyo. Then it is on to Bali, Indonesia for one week. While my husband works, I will enjoy the sunshine and 85 degree weather with my little girl. Sounds awful huh? I think it will be a great way to recover from the jet lag via the beach. If you think of it, please remember us as we travel tomorrow.

6 comments:

Sally said...

This is cheesy, but just go with it... "And friends are friends forever if the Lord is Lord of them. And a friend will not say never, because the welcome will not end. Though it's hard to let you go in the Father's hands we know, That a lifetime's not too long to live as friends." :) I don't actually remember the name of the song so I recited a section instead. Praying for safe travels for you.

Ribka said...

Vishenka !
i sm so excited for t he adventures that you have ahead of you . God is going to surprise you and take care of you in so many ways.
Emjoy it!
Lublu , ribka

Kim F. said...

I remember that day ten years ago like it was yesterday. Tears are flowing remembering those times and thinking of the days ahead for you. I love you, friend.

mel said...

I just caught up on the rest of your blog - you will have to start naming the places you go to so I can live vicariously through you! Like, the names of the western groceries and I think you ate at my one of my favorite Mexican food places in Roppongi - La Fiesta.

I am thinking of you today. You will do excellently. It looks as though you have a lot of contacts in Japan already, just by reading your blog. You seem to have a real knack for making friends! :)

I'm praying for smooth flying for Miyako and yourself. I remember the flight over I started crying, thinking that No One Will Ever Come See Us... I was so wrong! Don't trick yourself that way. They love you and they WILL come!

I wish I could say we would be there within the year, but with our little ones it might be at least a year out. But we definitely plan a return. Hopefully you will still be there and can then show US around! ;)

much love and prayers,
mel

Julie said...

Praying for you! Can't wait to see more pictures. :)

Gay said...

Wishing you a safe journey and many memories while in Japan. I will look after your Mother and Dad, as that is what friends are for! Take care!