Sunday, January 31, 2010

Bali Bound

Well, we have arrived in Bali safely. My little Priss Pooh has got to be the world's best traveler. Already at the age of 15 months she has traveled about 25,000 miles by plane and is now a member of the Japan Air sky miles club. We figured we should register her too since when we travel in Asia we will fly with them. If we were smarter, we would have gotten her a Delta sky miles membership also but we forgot in the midst of our goodbyes.

Saying goodbye was tough, but as soon as we crossed through security we were able to release a deep breath and say hello to this new adventure and life abroad. I do not mean this in a bad way. We love our home in the US, but God has been preparing us for so long to make this change, that we knew it was the right decision for our family. When you know it is right, there is peace in taking that first step forward with something new. Maybe also I was glad to get on the plane simply because the last week at home was crazy and stressful!

Due to my husband's travel and having more miles than we know what to do with, we were able to upgrade to first class to Tokyo. This was so worth it! Miyako had room to play on the floor and she loved climbing from Kan's seat to mine. She also slept about 5 hours which was super. We arrived in Tokyo and had a rough night. She was up hourly for about 4 hours and then gave us a 2 hour stretch of sleep. Our flight to Bali was a red eye and did not leave until 3 so we rested in the hotel, watched the UK/Vandy basketball game (GO CATS!), and Miyako and Kan were able to get naps.

Our flight to Bali was about 7 hours from Tokyo. Thankfully Miyako slept 6 of those seven hours. The plane was not full so she was able to spread out across two seats and sleep soundly. We got off the plane and I instantly smelled incense. Sure enough at the customs gate, it was burning. I felt like Dorothy when she realized she was not in Kansas anymore. Our drive to the resort reminded me of our honeymoon in Antigua. You see lots of poverty and then all of a sudden you come upon the most beautiful place you have ever seen and you wonder how the two places can co-exist in such close proximity of one another.

By the time we got settled it was one AM and Miyako had another rough night. But right now she is sleeping soundly. I am hopeful tonight may be a little better and I can get longer stretches of sleep. It reminds me of having a newborn and it makes me not want anymore children anytime soon. :)

There are not enough words to describe how beautiful Bali is. I feel so blessed to be able to spend a week here. God knew what I needed to refresh my spirits. We enjoyed the pool today. The ocean was pretty rough so we just got our feet wet in it. We are here during the rainy season and last night it rained all night. We felt like we were in the middle of the jungle. We woke up to birds singing, with Miyako. :) Kan is busy in meetings until Friday so it is just me and Miyako for the first few days. I think our plan will be poolside in the morning when it is not so hot and room time in the afternoon. Come Friday we can spend time with Papa!

Thank you for your prayers and well wishes as we traveled. We are here safe and sound. I am almost afraid to post pictures because nobody will feel sorry for me and the "suffering" I am doing for my husband's job. :) The pictures will come soon.

5 comments:

Sarah-Jane said...

can't wait to see pictures...in all your free time:) glad you are getting the beauty and some relaxation

katherineathome said...

Hope you soak up lots of rays. Enjoy your vacation and can't wait to read more. Much love

Unknown said...

Glad you are there in Bali! Have a wonderful week, get lots of sleep and sun. Love you all!

Karen said...

Breathing a sigh of relief along with you as I read this post! Praise the Lord, YOU MADE IT! :) Heard some last minute craziness from LeVan (did all our ziplock-bagging go to waste?!) but glad you pulled through and are embarking on your new adventure!

Anonymous said...

yay....I was praying for your flights. what a wonderful report. We love you so much and miss you already (just thinking that you are so far away makes me sad). I am proud of your positive attitude and ready heart. I will be praying for you and your two!