Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sick in Bali

So yesterday was not the picture perfect day I had for my vacation in Bali. When we woke up, at 5AM, I heard my husband moan "I don't feel so good." I asked him if he drank the water and he said no, but he did have two ice cubes which we think is the cause of him laying in bed all day long. No work for him on this gorgeous Tuesday in Bali. So my sweet girl and I ventured to the pool in hopes to give Papa a break from us. She was in a great mood but I noticed she did not eat much for breakfast or lunch. She took the normal 3.5 hour jet lag nap (yes, I love these naps and know it will only last a few more days) and woke up in her normal mood. However, at dinner, her milk came up. So, my little girl is now sick too. The hotel nurse did take her temperature and it was normal, but due to her little English and my non-existent Balinese (or whatever they speak here) we did not get much further with that.

Needless to say Priss Pooh did not eat anything all day and I had a hard time getting her to drink even her water. Today at breakfast she drank her milk but did not eat her pancake or egg. I even tried rice and she turned it down, which is very unnatural for her. Rice is one of her favorite foods. She is half-Japanese and prefers white rice to brown rice. I came back to the room to find my husband had researched "milk in Bali" on google (seriously, what would we do without google?) to find that you are to stay away from the fresh milk here, especially for infants. Well, aren't I the smart mother? Needless to say, I felt awful. I should have done more prep work and research, and if I had I would have brought powdered milk for my little Priss Pooh and we would all be fine. From here on out I am banning all milk in Bali. She did eat an apple for lunch and hopefully she will enjoy some plain rice for dinner and be back to herself tomorrow.

So what have I learned from this? Even in one of the most beautiful places in the world, life can throw you lemons. Will I make the lemon-aid is the question? I spent the evening soaking up time in the Word with my two sick family members on either side of me, thankful for a God who is in control, for a God who cares for both of these people more than I do and loves them and will take care of them, thankful for a God who can give me peace, thankful for a God who prompts friends to email me and help me to calm down and not stress too much about my circumstances, thankful for a God who in the quietness of my hotel room with a small little light on meets me while my sweet family sleeps. Through His Spirit, God helped me to make lemon-aid and He deepened my awareness of Him and increased my faith in Him. As Wednesday on this side of the world is half-way finished, I am praying to a God who knows what tomorrow will bring and asking him for healing and continued graces on our vacation here.

1 comment:

katherineathome said...

So sorry to hear that Kan and Priss Pooh are sick. Hopefully today will be better. Just reading your blog was an encouragement to me. We should never take God's grace for granted and the peace that comes when we rest in Him. Blessings to you three on the rest of your vacation and onward to Japan.