Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Place to Call Home

Well friends, we finally settled on an apartment. We went with the older apartment with 900 square feet, a great view from the 48th floor, and within walking distance to two different families that work with the church we plan to attend. To top it off, a friend wrote today and told me there is a new Indian restaurant in the shopping center close to our building along with a new international supermarket. (Sally, the Indian place is called Bombay cafe - it must be a sign) I love Indian food and I love me some international grocery stores! We plan to buy furniture this weekend and hopefully move in sometime next week. Thank you for praying for us. We feel blessed to have such a spacious place and to have community nearby.

If you think of it, please pray for us physically. We are all a bit worn down, although Miyako's is due to some teeth coming in the back of her mouth. Kan and I are pretty tired and would welcome a weekend of rest and relaxation. We feel like we have been going non-stop since Christmas, and over here it is hard to rest on the weekends because we have had so much to do, like find a place to live! Kan is working long hours during the week so it is not fun for him to work on "house stuff" on the weekends. So, pray for us to persevere and to keep the bigger picture in mind as we grind out this time. It is just temporary so we are trying to remember that and enjoy the transition. Once we settle down a bit, make our home, and find a routine it will be much better. However, we wanted that to come yesterday rather than a couple of months from now.

And we did survive the game on Saturday. HA! I did not DVR it as I had a feeling the Vols would come out on top. It is tough to win on the road in the SEC right? Kan actually did not even realize it was on until I told him Sunday morning after I checked the score on Kentucky.com. Thankfully we are still married and he did not rub it in my face too bad. :)

Wednesday is Girls Day here in Japan where they celebrate little girls and pray for their health and prosperity. They decorate their homes with this special doll on girls day and of course a cake is involved. So, I plan to get a small cake to celebrate Miyako and invite another playmate we have met over to the apartment. However we will not have the little doll as they cost about $300. We can go downstairs and pay respects to the little girl doll in our apartment building for free. :)

It seems like this post is a bit boring as we did not do much over the weekend but finalize our apartment. But hey, we finally have a place to call home for the next two years and that is exciting for us. We will not be living underneath a bridge somewhere in the middle of Tokyo come March 9th. :)

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I thought of you two on Saturday, Shari. I said to Nathan, "How do you suppose Shari can stand to be married to a UT fan? Poor girl." :) I semi-dated a UofL fan and I knew that I'd never be able to marry anyone who wasn't a UK fan. You are a strong, lovely woman!

Sally said...

I think you have every right to celebrate yourself too on Girls' Day with some BOMBAY!!! And please take a picture of the special doll and post on this here blog. I want to see what a $300 doll looks like.