Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Breaking all my parenting rules...

So, many of you want an update on how our clan is doing here in Bali. Kan is feeling much better and ate a fairly hearty breakfast with us this morning. Miyako is slowly on the mend. She is still not eating as much as normal, but she is in fairly good spirits and has not thrown up again. Thank you for your prayers and well wishes.

So, in the midst of my Priss Pooh being under the weather and jet lag, I have broken most of my parenting rules. Rule #1 - No pacifier except when taking a nap or in bed or at the doctor getting a shot (which it never stays in her mouth anyway because she starts screaming the minute she sees the nurse). Well, obviously I made an exception with the pacifier on the plane. I would not want to disturb any of my other fellow business class passengers (I still have fond memories of that 14 hour flight). And the exception has continued throughout Bali. Since she is not feeling well she keeps asking for the pacifier (which she calls Ba) and I give it to her. She now likes to hold one while sucking on one. Very cute. She has a rude awakening once we get to Tokyo and it is back to our rules.

Rule #2 - I really only wanted my children to drink water and milk and consider juice a special occasion drink. Juice has so much sugar, I did not want my kids to get used to it. Just a personal thing. Well, once I realized she could not have the milk here and she was not drinking enough water to stay hydrated, I bought some apple juice and mixed it with the water. She downed the sippie cup in like 5 minutes.

Rule #3 - No little babies sleeping in your bed. From the get go Priss Pooh has slept in her room, in her own bed or Moses basket, unless we have been traveling. When we travel she is either in the pack and play or her little tent, but not in bed with us. Well, I broke the rules here too. With jet lag she was waking up around 4/5AM and I would get her out of the tent and bring her in bed with me. She would eventually go back to sleep and sleep until 7. Thankfully once we get to Tokyo we will not have to share a room with our little angel.

Oh, and I realized I spelled lemonade wrong in my post yesterday. Yes, the woman with a Masters degree spelled lemonade wrong. Oh well. Just gives more ammunition for people to make fun of me with...as if they did not have enough.

The weather is gorgeous here. So excited that today is Kan's last day of work and tomorrow we are on vacation together. It will be fun to have someone to hang out with and converse with since my conversations with a 15 month old can only go so far.

4 comments:

Julie said...

a thought on the hydration: look to see if you can find coconut water. It is very healthful. It has natural potassium (like what Gatorade advertises) without the high fructose corn syrup (that Gatorade has plenty). My grocery store sells coconut water in the fruit juice/health food section - but I bet you could find it in Bali, too...or just have someone to split a coconut for you and drain the water for baby M. I keep coconut water in my pantry to use in lieu of pedialyte or gatorade.

Nate and Molly said...

enjoy keeping up with your blog..hope your last few days of vacation are awesome!

Christy Johnson Photography said...

I am glad everyone is starting to feel better! I hope you guys enjoy your last bit of vacation together!

Sally said...

Hope you have a fun day off with Kan. What kind of tent does Miyako have? Like a kid's tent for the indoors or like a tent out back of the house or a mosquito net or a medically necessary tent for breathing?