Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Labor Story




Well, I am going to steal a few precious minutes and write about the labor story of Kei Kawashima. I want to record it before I forget. Deb, you may want to stop reading now as I did not go Bradley. :)

I woke up Monday morning, May 2nd, and felt some small contractions. As the morning went on, the contractions would make me stop what I was doing to breathe through them. I called my doctor and when I told him they were between 4-10 minutes apart, he ordered us to the hospital. We arrived at the hospital at 10AM and I was 4 cm. along. My doctor knew I wanted an epidural. When he arrived, I was at 5 cm. He looked at me and said, "I'm going to break the water, get you the epidural and you will have a baby in a couple of hours." The moved me to the delivery room (at this hospital you "labor" in one room, and deliver in another), I got my epidural, and Kan and I proceeded to talk. He joked at how much more relaxing this birth experience was since I got the epidural much earlier than the last time (with Miyako I got it at 10 cm - yes, I made it that far but had no energy left to push). The midwife monitored me and I progressed pretty smoothly. During the entire time, I could hear the woman next door in agony as she did not have the epidural (probably 95 percent of Japanese women do not get an epidural unless it is medically necessary). My doctor walked in and said, "I sure am glad that is not what you sound like." My response was, "So am I." I think Kan would have toasted a beer to that as well.

The epidural began to slightly wear off at about 9 cm so he gave me a little bit more. The doctor told Kan we would start pushing at 3 and have the baby by 3:30. Well, I started pushing at 3 and Kei entered this world at 3:26. It took about 30 minutes and five pushes. In comparison, Miyako took about 100 pushes (at least it felt like it) and 2.5 hours. We labored for 5.5 hours verses almost 14 with Miyako. That makes quite a difference.

In both labor experiences, I have had fabulous doctors/midwives. My doctor here was incredible. I cannot say enough positive things about him. From the time I "thought I was in labor" about 2 weeks ago until giving birth, he has called everything exactly as it came to be. I felt so comfortable with him and would not have traded the experience for anything.

Kei and I stayed in the hospital until Thursday with Kan, Miyako and Kan's mother coming to visit a little bit each day. Miyako and Mommy-chan were actually at the hospital when we gave birth so they got to meet Kei shortly after he was born. I admit, it was a bit lonely in the hospital. No husband, no computer - just me and my baby boy. But I had a great stay and the staff and facility was very nice. There were some differences of course between the US and Japan, but I felt like they were both good experiences. As much as I wanted to be home with my family, I was glad to have a few extra days compared to the US when they rush you home so soon after birth. In fact, I actually came home early compared to most Japanese women.

Coming home as been nice. But goodness, they were not kidding when they said you really have no alone time with two. Kei is eating well. He eats, sleeps and poos... which is exactly what he is supposed to do. Miyako is having a bit of an adjustment but we see progress each day with her. Today she has been mama's helper - bringing me my boppy pillow when it is time to feed him, or bringing a diaper to change him. I know it will just take time for her to adjust. As you can imagine, my emotions are running wild - and that too is to be expected. I keep reminding myself "this shall pass." The first 6-8 weeks are the toughest. My doctor provides a midwife service to come out once a week for the next two weeks to check on me and the baby. This is nice so I do not have to take the baby to the pediatrician every other day. :) He will go at four weeks as will I for my post-labor check.

It is hard to believe that this Mother's Day I have two precious gifts from God. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect this to be my life, but in spite of the lack of sleep and wondering if I will ever sleep again, I love my life. I love my husband more than anything. He has taken such good care of Miyako while I was in the hospital, and me as I have come home. I love our sweet little family of four. And I hope to embrace this new life that God has given us with joy and grace.

1 comment:

mel said...

What a beautiful story! And a wonderful Dr S and Seibo! I'm so glad you had such an easy labor and memorable time with your little Kei. As far as the diaper changes go, just keep him covered at all times! :)