Thursday, May 19, 2011

Surviving...moving towards living...






Well, we are past two weeks and I feel like we are moving from survival mode to living mode...maybe this is just wishful thinking though as a friend came over today and made us Japanese curry for dinner and left it here. I did cook two meals this week and managed to get Miyako to bed on her own one night while Kei was crying and Kan was working. But I am hoping we are moving towards more "living" in the next week or so. I do not quite think I will be "thriving" until I am getting a solid five hours of sleep at a time and am back to an exercise routine, but for now, I will enjoy this phase and the girl scout cookies that are living in my freezer. Kan asked when they would be gone, and I said by the end of the month because come June I start my "baby weight boot camp" to shed those last ten pounds from Kei and the ten pounds from Miyako that never quite left me. But, who starts that the first month post baby? Not me...I guess I have a good 12 more days of indulgence.

We have been pretty home bound. We took Kei to a birthday party Sunday and on Tuesday I took both kids to a friends house to play. It was nice to get outside, but pushing Miyako in the stroller and carrying Kei in the sling took a bit much out of my two week post baby body. Kan's schedule has been a bit more flexible this week so he has been home to take Miyako to sports class or to a walk next door to get groceries. This at least gets her outside a bit. My goal next week is to take both kids out on two days and slowly increase this. I am grateful Miyako is getting to maintain her classes and go with either Kan or Nena as I think it is good for her to go without mama. She is much more independent in her classes when she does not go with me. :)

Kei is a sweet baby boy...that is all I can say about him. I just love him so much and his laid back personality. He cries, but usually it is because he is hungry, stinky, or wants to be stinky and can't be. Miyako is slowly warming up to him. I often find random toys in his pack and play that she has "given" him to play with. She does not understand why mama lets him cry at nap time sometimes, but I am explaining to her how we have to teach Kei how to sleep on his own. Today was a huge success as he took two naps on his own in his pack and play. He often would cry when the paci would fall out of his mouth, but I am helping him to hold it in there. Both times today the paci did fall out of his mouth but he kept sleeping. For me, y'all, this is huge. I really cannot have him sleep on my chest all day every day so the boy needs to learn how to nap in the pack and play. At night, he sleeps there fine, but during the day, not so much. With Miyako, I was much more relaxed about naps and did not start putting her in her bed until about 8 weeks old. I loved snuggling with her and had nobody else to take care of, so she got the extra loving. But poor second child Kei, already deprived, as I am having him sleep in his own bed at 2 weeks old because I need to take care of Miyako as well.

I heard once that going from 1 to 2 is the hardest. After that, it is no big deal. Whoever said that is right - it is crazy when both are crying, or both need diaper changes (come on Miyako, let's go potty!) - and your spaghetti water is boiling over as you cannot get to it - but someone wise also told me "the days are long but the years are short." I remind myself of that little saying when I want to pull my hair out. And how could you not love these adorable little faces?

No comments: