Saturday, June 11, 2011

June 11, 2011



Every time I now do a scrapbook post, at least for this year since I picked the 11th day of each month, I will always think back to March 11, 2011 and what happened here in Japan. A friend of ours works here as a journalist from a foreign country and has been up north several times post earthquake to report on what is going on. We were speaking with him today and he was saying how he wants to keep going up to do reports on the progress, or maybe lack of, but the rebuilding efforts is no longer "news worthy" according to the news. Isn't it sad...the most devastating earthquake in Japan's history is no longer news worthy even though people still go without food, electricity, water, homes, jobs, etc. I admit, I also forget and I LIVE here. I go about my daily life and it is back to normal, so to speak, and I forget that not far away people are really suffering and they will be for quite some time. I am thankful we have found a church here who is active in the rebuilding efforts and relief work. And I am glad that by God's grace, I chose to scrapbook on the 11th of each month, and I can remember and pray for the people here in Japan who are still struggling so much. Please take time to do so today.

We had a fun day today. It is the rainy season and we woke up to rain and humidity. No need to dry my hair this summer as it just frizzes the minute I walk out the door. We were supposed to go to a picnic with friends, but due to the rain we obviously would not be spending the morning at Shinjuku Gyoen. Instead, a dear friend offered to host us at her place, and we had a lot of fun. Two of us had recently had children. They are the cute babes you see in the pictures. Kei and Mr. D are only 3 days apart. Their older siblings are exactly one month apart. And their parents have been married about the same amount of time. I was excited we gave birth so close together because Mr. D's family will be here for about 2 more years or so, which means depending on when we make it back to the US, they can become little friends/playmates. The kids pretty much destroyed my friends' living room today, but they all had fun playing together and the adults had fun conversing. We also toasted the new babies to a nice glass of champagne. Yum. It was nice for our husbands to get together as well. I sometimes feel bad for Kan because his main interaction with other guys is with co-workers, and who wants to "hang out" with co-workers...typically you do not want to, unless you are a social worker like I was and loved your colleagues (I hope you are reading this ladies). But for Kan it is a bit different with Japanese co-workers, so he had fun today as well just hanging out with the guys.

After the "picnic" I came home with the kiddos and Kan headed to Ikea and Costco, where he currently still is. We bought a new shelf last weekend when we took Miyako to get her big girl bed, which is still sitting in our living room floor and why you have not seen a post about it yet. Anyways, we bought the shelf in neutral color but decided we wanted black, so Kan borrowed a van and returned it today. I know he is exhausted. When I was up at 2 to feed Kei, Kan was still up at his computer for work...even on a Friday night...but he is so good to us and in his weariness, making these trips to Ikea and Costco for us. Such a good man, fabulous husband and wonderful father. And no I am not kissing up because I very much doubt he has the time to read our blog. :)

Now, I need to find something for dinner as it is after 8 and I am starving. Happy weekend everyone!

1 comment:

Sally said...

The indoor picnic sounds like it was a fun day for everyone. So glad for you all! Great pics of the "little big man." :)