Monday, February 10, 2014

Mama's Weekend Away

February started off right with Mama getting a bit of respite on a women's retreat/weekend away. A friend invited me to a women's conference and graciously offered to pay my way. The conference was centered around Psalm 23, Going Through the Valley, and I was really looking forward to hearing a speaker in native English and singing praise and worship songs in English. The conference was okay. I think coming from fabulous women's conferences from my home church in Kentucky I had a really high expectation, so I came away to be honest a bit disappointed in the "meat" of the conference. However, the weekend away was a much needed respite. On the drive there we got a bit lost, but saw some beautiful views of Mt. Fuji and mikan (clementine) fields. I also had to get a picture of the bathroom guide at the rest stop...it highlighted what bathrooms were in use and also what type of bathroom was available. Only in Japan. I love the highway rest areas here...you can get anything from hot ramen to Starbucks and high quality/clean bathrooms with even a dressing room. 

My roommates were all about 10-15 years older than me and fabulous women, seasoned in life, with wide varieties of life experiences. I learned so much from them just by staying in the room talking at night. I had some free time on Saturday afternoon and enjoyed a walk to a beautiful waterfall and saw some wasabi plant growing. I had no idea wasabi started off as a green plant in water. I also laid on my futon a lot and simply read a book. It was fabulous. I have been away before for the weekend...remember Seoul in May of 2013? But that was so so busy. We had 48 hours in a fabulous city and wanted to see as much as we could and eat as much as we could in 48 hours. I came back from that trip physically worn out. This weekend away was much more restful. There was not much to see in the countryside except the said waterfall and wasabi plants, and that took about 30 minutes to get to and back. I rested well, did not wash one dish in 48 hours, and came back excited to see my kiddos and hubby. What did I learn most...that this mama needs a weekend like that once a year, simply to refresh. 

1 comment:

Julie said...

I totally agree. Momma needs a weekend away. I am SO GLAD TO BE FINISHED NURSING!!!