Saturday, May 10, 2014

The K Man turns 3!

Our little/big K Man turned three years old last week. We gave him his first official birthday party this year and he loved it. Every day on the week leading up to his birthday he would ask "is today my birthday? Am I big yet?" I did not have the heart to tell him he has been big since birth! :) On his actual birthday both kids were fighting fevers and daddy had the day off. We basically laid on the couch watching movies (Planes and Alice in Wonderland), ordered pizza, and enjoyed a little Planes birthday cake big sis and I made for the little guy (thank you Grandma for sending me the pan). Thankfully the next day the kids woke up and were fever free so we could enjoy the actual birthday party for the K Man. We invited 5 little friends from church and Miss M had a friend come too, who the K Man loves. We can rent basic party rooms in our building for 800 yen for 4 hours which is not bad at all for Tokyo. We did a CARS/PLANES theme party (thank you again Grandma for the fun party supplies) and played "Pin the Headlight on Mater." After playing inside a bit, we took the kids outside for a play in the park behind our building. We came back in for cake and presents and everyone left. It was a very laid back and relaxed party with some of our dearest friends here in Tokyo. I was reminded of the sweet community God has given us here in Tokyo. It should not surprise me since we have been here 4 years now, but it really is very sweet. The longer we live here I just am overwhelmed by God's goodness to us in giving us community and I am convinced that it is in community that we thrive. Some of the friends that were at the party have been our friends since we moved here. Others we just met this year but instantly connected with. And I am sure people who live in the US have the same experience, but in a city of 35 million people, I am just amazed at God blessing us with such fabulous friends. We finished the big day with some of hubby's old colleagues bringing us dinner. It was a very fun filled day with dear friends. Now for a little bragging on the K Man, I feel like I say the same thing every year. He is such a charmer. He watches people and he knows how to win over hearts. He is sweet and yet we see him push buttons, especially with his big sister, and grin afterwards. He is smart with people and you can tell he will have good people skills. We started him in sports class this year in April. It has been fun for me to have a little mama/son time each week for a hour while Miss M takes Japanese. He is quite bigger than the rest of the kids in the class and each week the other moms make a comment about that. We also started him in Japanese lessons once a week now that he is three. I was watching the end of his class on Friday and got tears in my eyes as I watched him answer her questions correctly distinguishing a densha (train), helicopter and hikoki (plane). I was just amazed at how quickly he is picking it up and how he can sit for a hour studying with such enthusiasm. K Man, you literally bring so much joy to our family. I cannot imagine our family without you. Your smile is contagious and you are so playful. You make us laugh and I am so glad God chose me to be your mama. We love you, little guy!

1 comment:

Hunca Munca said...

Wow, can't believe K is 3! Love your blog and it's great to see you all looking so happy in the pictures. "It is in community that we thrive." So, so true and I'm so happy that you have found community there. :-)