Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Wide Open Spaces

After a week, we are finally over the jet lag. I actually had to wake the kids up today at 8:30 to get to a play date on time this morning. I am glad that part is over with. It is never easy traveling with small children, and the jet lag sure does not help. For the most part, the kids are doing well, but they do miss home and their friends. Four weeks is a long time to be away and live out of a suitcase, but we are trying to make the best of it. It is worth it, but sometimes, to be honest, it does not always feel that way when they are cranky, tired and asking to go home and be with their friends. :)

I am trying to focus on the things we cannot enjoy in Tokyo, like wide open spaces. The weather in Kentucky has been beautiful. As I write this, I am sitting outside with the sunshine, blue skies, and no humidity in the low 70's. It is the perfect time to leave the hot humid city. We have spent a lot of time at the pool and playing outside, and we got to enjoy lightening bugs for the first time ever the other night. Today we went to Monkey Joe's, a big bouncy house play area, and the kids had a lot of fun. However, two busloads of campers came and we decided to leave as they were a bit older and rougher for our young kiddos. We caught a frog this morning in the pool and watched the cardinals eat breakfast from the bird feeder. The kids have loved going to the cemetary nearby to feed the geese, which seem to flock in the hundreds when we come with a bag of bread. By far, that is the cheapest entertaiment for $2 for the bread. 

I have gotten most of my shopping done, except for the food we want to take back, as I really do not like to shop much anymore and wanted to get it out of the way. I used to love shopping but now it is just not as fun as it used to be. I did find a new boutique called Hot Mama, and loved everything in it - finally found some jeans that are flattering rather than falling down your rear like the young teens wear them these days. I sound old huh? It was such a cute store with trendy clothes flattering for us moms where our shape is not quite what it used to be. 

We are enjoying time with Grandma and Papaw and visiting with lots of friends. Daddy arrives on Thursday and we are thrilled for that! I wish my friends from Tokyo could be here with us and see this part of our lives. This trip has been harder for me culturally and I will process it more later on the blog, but for now I will leave you with pictures of the Bluegrass in July.


No comments: