Sunday, September 27, 2009

We made it!!

Well, the Kawashima family is safe and sound in Tokyo. Right now I am writing from my awesome apartment! We have a great view of lots of skyscrapers and I am one metro stop away from a mall and walking area along water. As you come out of our apartment building there is a drug store that sells diapers so I am in good shape.

The flight here was much better than I expected. I think I expected the worse...for Miyako to cry during 12 of the 14 hours we had on the plane. She surpassed my expectations and did a wonderful job. She got fussy of course...she is 10 months old. But for the most part, she was an angel. We could not have asked for a better traveller. Her first night sleeping was a little rough. She was up every hour. However, I just patted her back and told her it was nighttime and she would eventually go back to sleep.

Today is Sunday here in Tokyo. We checked into our apartment and did some basic shopping for food and every day items. Here are just a few things I have noticed about Japan in the first day of being here.

Observation 1 - You have to go to the grocery every couple of days because the refridgerators are like the size of our college dorm room fridge. So, Miyako and I will venture to the grocery every couple of days but thankfully it is within walking distance so we do not have to go far.

Observation 2 - The Japanese think of everything. On the taxi ride from the hotel to our apartment I noticed a little shield on the window. This is so you can roll the window down while it is raining and not get wet. Clever. The small details are very important to the Japanese. Now I know why my husband gives me such a hard time. HA! I do not pay much attention to those small details and they are very important to him.

Observation 3 - The service here is impeccable! As we checked out of our hotel two people loaded our luggage cart and took it with us as we waiting on the taxi. Once our taxi was loaded and we were in the car, they stood outside our taxi and bowed to us as we left. They know we are not famous people. This is simply how they serve. They go above and beyond what is expected, and they do not do it for a tip. The bell people at the hotel do not get tipped. They simply do their job with high quality and service. I think this will be a hard thing for me to adjust to when I come back to the States.

For those of you wondering, I did watch some of the KY game on Kan's computer via sling. However, I was glad when we switched to the TN game after watching the first quarter. Not so good CATS. Can we start talking March Madness yet?

Well, I need to get Miss Priss Pooh up from her nap. I will try to post pictures of our apartment later once I take some!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yeah Miyako! Glad you all made it safe and sound. You will love the shopping. The Japanese Mall in Taipei was fabulous! Not to mention the food. We are envious of your adventure. Gabriella is a super traveler also. She loves the little toiletries in hotel rooms. She thinks they are small for her. ;-) Hugs to all of you.
p.s. if you haven't already, I believe you can put a link on your fb profile to your blog. God Bless! - jennifer

Julie said...

Yay! Can't wait to hear more.