Saturday, October 2, 2010

Meiji Shrine, Harajuku and Omotesando




Today it was another beautiful day here in Tokyo. I am glad the weather cleared towards the end of the week and my parents got to see the pretty side of Tokyo. I remember last year when we were here in October (cannot believe a year ago I was getting on a plane for four weeks to Tokyo and now I am living here) I was wearing flip flops still at the end of the month, loving the warmer fall temperatures.

I think I gave my dad a dose of people overload today. We went to Meiji Shrine. As you can see from the pictures, Miyako mostly enjoyed pushing her stroller around in the shrine. Oh well. We did see a wedding party which was pretty cool. From Meiji Shrine, we walked down Harajuku street where my parents got to see some people dressed up in funky costumes and experience the crowds. Once through Harajuku, my dad found a coffee shop in Omotesando where he ordered by himself a p-nut roasted sandwich. He thought something was wrong when it took like 25 minutes to bring his sandwich, considering he basically ordered a pb&j, but he got it nonetheless. While he enjoyed his snack and people watching, my mom and I did some shopping for people back home. I am saving on shipping for my side of the family by sending home Christmas gifts with my parents. I am ahead of the holiday game this year huh?

While Miyako pretended to nap (she basically talked to herself in her crib for two hours) my dad and Kan watched some taped football, I read a book, and my mom enjoyed the autumn festival at the mall next door to our house. One thing I love about Japan is all of the festivals and there seems to be one next door to us for each season. There was a band, lots of people out, and lots of good yummy food. I had lots of grand ideas for dinner - either Roppongi Hills or a nighttime adventure out to Shibuya to see all of the people - but since Miyako did not nap we decided to stay close to our place. We went back to the mall next door and my parents experienced a Japanese cuisine called tonkatsu. It is a fried pork dish (they also had shrimp and oysters) served with rice and is fabulous. It is one of my favorite Japanese dishes so I am glad they got to try it. And they both really liked it. For those of you wondering, my dad made it the entire 9 days without having to use chopsticks. :) The restaurant we went to tonight even had a regular size fork to give him, and not just a dessert type fork.

We really have been blessed to have family here to visit. Miyako enjoyed all the play time and attention and we enjoyed getting to show them our new home. I think they were both simply amazed at the number of people in such a small packed area in Tokyo. My dad said he has walked more this week than he has the entire year. :) They leave tomorrow morning. Please pray for their safety as they travel back to Kentucky. Dad and Mom, Papaw and Grandma - we love you and are so thankful that you came such a long distance to see us.

1 comment:

Kim F. said...

Oh Shari...so glad they had a good visit. Thanks for all the posts. Will pray for their safety getting home. Love you, friend.