Saturday, October 2, 2010

Saying Goodbye



Today we said goodbye to Grandma and Papaw. We took Miyako to a park this morning by their hotel and the time passed too quickly. Before we knew it, it was 11:30, time for them to catch the bus that takes them to Narita airport and from there the 13 hour flight back to Detroit. It was hard saying goodbye, especially when you do not know when you will see each other again. But as we walked away, I was so grateful for a fabulous 9 days with them. I felt so blessed that both my mom and dad were willing to come visit. I knew my mom would come, but I really never expected my dad to travel all that way to see us. I do not think he will ever know how much that meant to me because I know it was really really hard on him.

I loved showing them our home and helping them to see we are doing well here and happy here. I think it helped them as well to see where we are. Now they can picture us at the park or fish market or the mall next door. I will be interested to find out how they processed Japan once they get home. It can be quite overwhelming as it is such a radically different culture and place from the US. I look forward to hearing their thoughts once they have been back home for a few weeks and adjusted back.

Goodbyes are never easy, but it is part of life. My immediate family is in Tokyo now. This is where we live. As my parents got on that bus, I was sad they had to leave, but had a peace from above knowing Kan and I are exactly where we need to be right now. I am thankful for that peace that comes even in difficult situations. We came home, ate lunch, put Miyako down for a nap and started watching the UT/LSU game. Back to normal...

No comments: