Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Betty Crocker, BSF, and Typhoon Roke


It has been a whirlwind of 24 hours. It started with me becoming Betty Crocker for the day late yesterday afternoon. I made dinner for Tuesday, prepared the crock pot chili meat for today (Wednesday), and I made these spinach cheese and ham muffins to eat on for lunch (thanks Jean for your cooking blog and the delicious muffin recipe). To top it off, I made my own flavored coffee creamer. Homemade coffee creamer. A friend sent me a great website of fabulous organic recipes and thought I would be interested in the coffee creamer considering how much I miss my pumpkin spice come this time of year. I was a bit nervous about it, but y'all it was so yummy! I made cinnamon strudel yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it in my coffee. (Here is the link - http://deliciouslyorganic.net/homemade-coffee-creamer/)

The busyness continued today as we headed to BSF. I am LOVING the study of Acts this year. I really enjoyed Isaiah last year but it was such a downer in the beginning - lots of doom and judgment. Obviously it ends in a good way with the prophecy of the Messiah and redemption for Israel, but it was still hard to study in the beginning. Acts is a bit more uplifting in the beginning as we study the Holy Spirit. I am really excited about BSF this year and am so thankful we have it here in Tokyo. Miyako is also LOVING the child care this year. Today she said, "I had so much fun mama." The teachers are her new best friends when they sing "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes." Miyako told me they will sing it every week. Not sure if the teachers know this yet or not, but oh well.

Today the numbers were very low at BSF due to Typhoon Roke. To be honest, I thought the typhoon had passed about 6 this morning. I was working out and the rain was horrible. I was even debating on whether or not to go to BSF. But once the kids woke up, it had stopped in our area so we ventured out. When I got to BSF, they were surprised to see me. The head lady of the children's program said, "You are here?! You do know a typhoon is coming don't you?!" Oops - I thought the typhoon had passed. No, that was just a little shower compared to what came in the name of Roke! Our leader ended the lecture a bit early so we could all get home before the storm. We had to walk home from the station in some heavy rain but it was nothing compared to what was to come. Around 2PM, Roke hit. Our building was swaying in the wind. And the wind was LOUD. And the rain - downpour is an understatement. Thankfully Kan made it home before trains were closed. I told Miyako it was a bit nasty outside and we were safe inside. Her response was, "The weather is being disobedient." I guess she hears that word quite a bit huh? :) Now, all is quiet, and there is no rain...just a little wind. Supposedly the day after a typhoon means clear skies and nice weather. Let's just hope the slides are not still wet from the rain. Oh, and what do we do during a typhoon - we video tape - hence the picture of Kan with the camera.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had that recipe bookmarked for a while...will have to try it out now that you said it was good!
I can't imagine a typhoon in a high rise! wow! but that is funny about the video camera.
btw...did miyako's skirt fit???

mel said...

Saw the news regarding Roke, wondered how you fared. We had some typhoons but nothing as you described. Lots of dead umbrellas littered the streets the morning after - glad the creamer was a hit!

expatgourmand said...

I'm glad you guys are okay. That looks like a nasty typhoon!
P/s - I'm pleased you tried the muffin recipe! I hope it turned out yummy for you :)