Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Potty Training

Tomorrow it will be one week of potty training for our sweet three year old and she is doing great! We came home from her birthday party and she went straight to her bedroom to get big girl panties. She had a few accidents that day, but on Friday she did great. She had one accident at the park on Friday, but from then on she has been accident free. Today we did wear pull-ups to BSF. It is a hour train ride there and back and I was not sure how she would do with someone else taking her to the potty. She did go on the potty break with all the other children, but she told the teacher she would go at home with Mama. I did not want to push her. She has done so well. I told her we would wear pull ups to Bible study for a couple of weeks, but once we run out she has to wear underwear. My only concern potty training here in Japan is getting stuck on a train and she HAVING to go. There are no bathrooms on the subway trains so it makes me nervous. We have stayed pretty close to home the past week and just done local parks and such. We will slowly start to add bigger distances with underwear on - maybe church this Sunday. I am really really proud of her. It has been fairly simple. She knows when she needs to go and goes on her own. I do not have to constantly ask her if she needs to go. She is going poopy and wee wee in the little potty. I will be happy when we switch over to the big potty. I am a bit tired of cleaning the little one. She also goes in the middle of the night. Now, do not get me wrong - I am a bit tired of the middle of the night potty calls and having to put Woodstock stickers on the Snoopy Success chart in my half opened eyes, but I am pretty impressed that she wakes up in the middle of the night to go potty when she just started potty training. My big concern now is when do you stop giving potty treats and stickers?! She is not used to having candy at home so getting a Snoopy gummy fruit snack every time you go potty is a lot of fun for our little girl.

I learned that prepping her verbally really helped. We talked for months about wearing big girl panties when she came home from her third birthday. And she did. Now our next big transition - sharing a room with the K Man. I have started telling her at Thanksgiving she and little brother will share a room. Today I asked her when they would share a room and she said, "At thanksgiving and we can talk to each other at bedtime." Cute huh?!

1 comment:

mel said...

Sweet, sweet little girl! So proud of her and you. Big milestone for you, Mama!