Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas "Illumination"

So, yesterday we celebrated the emperor's birthday by checking out some Christmas "Illumination" in Midtown and Roppongi Hills. I still find it crazy that Kan gets a holiday for the emperor's birthday, but if Christmas was on Monday he would have to take a vacation day. Anyways, I LOVE looking at Christmas lights. In the US, we lived in a fabulous neighborhood that really outdid themselves for Christmas lights - houses were given ribbons for best door, best lawn, etc. We always put in the Charlie Brown Christmas CD (yes, we liked it before we had Miyako) and would drive around and look at lights. Now that Miyako is a bit older and enjoying Christmas, we decided to help her enjoy Christmas lights as well, even though we are missing a car and neighborhood. We thought we would venture to Midtown and see the lights then enjoy dinner out since I had been in the kitchen all day preparing for a large Christmas Eve dinner with friends. We got to Midtown and discovered the rest of Tokyo decided to do the same thing. There were loads of people, walking in organized fashion, only as they do in Japan, to look at the lights. Rather than following the line like we were supposed to, I played the gaijin card and went the back way. We saw the lights for about 30 seconds and Miyako said she wanted to go inside because she was cold. Joke was completely on me. Note to self - next year check out the "Illumination" in the beginning of December. We ventured to dinner at Outback Steakhouse, very kid friendly, and enjoyed a Blooming Onion and steak salads. While at dinner, Kei dropped his spoon. The waiter saw it and offered to wash it for me! Would that ever happen in the US? And he does not get a tip mind you. We were talking a lot last night simply about the differences here in Japan. Some things drive you crazy, like the line to see the lights and how they would not let me go a different way, but I did anyways. Yet, this large city runs so smoothly and systematically you have to love it as well. And they offered to wash my kids' spoon! Sometimes I have a love/hate relationship with this country!

It is Christmas Eve here. We are a bit sad to not be in the US with our families, but we are making up for it with a large turkey dinner tonight with dear friends from church. And I tried a new recipe for dessert called "Christmas Crack" from a friend of mine. Let me tell you, there is a reason she calls it "crack." Let me know if you want the recipe. But do not hate me once you get it, eat it, and become addicted to it. Miyako is enjoying a date out with daddy right now. We tried to get her Nutcracker tickets but they were sold out (mental note #2 - get those earlier next year). They are currently at a LARGE indoor play area, having lunch, and buying a Christmas gift for Kei and her friend who is coming over tonight. When I told her she needed to buy Kei a gift, her response was, "But Kei already has something." :) We are working on this love relationship with her brother. Speaking of the K Man, I decided last night to give up the dream feed and see how he does. The little man slept from 8PM-7AM. God has blessed me with good sleepers. I was really proud of him.

Well, I need to go straighten up before the company comes. Pics of Christmas Eve and Christmas to come! Merry Christmas to all. May the Lord bless you during this time of celebrating his birth.

1 comment:

mel said...

I think I read this and commented in my head, YES to almost everything you wrote. I need to get back to you - but for now, remember that I read and commented YES!!!