Thursday, December 1, 2011

It's Been Awhile...


So, it has been awhile since I blogged...not sure why...just not much to say I guess. We have been busy and I have been tired at night and not much in the mood to sit at the computer. But this week I did something memorable. I went to see Aerosmith in concert. Yes, you read that correctly! I have the picture in front of Tokyo Dome to prove it. It is not that I am a head banging kind of girl, but I do have Aerosmith on my I-tunes and am a huge fan of Steven Tyler on American Idol. And let's face it...anyone who is 63 and has been performing for 41 years and still going strong is worth seeing.

Let me tell you, they were FANTASTIC! They can perform, that is for sure. My friend and I enjoyed watching the people bee bop to Aerosmith...lots of Japanese men in suits coming straight from work and then the random patches of foreigners, mostly American military men, around the arena. Kan and I love live music. We enjoy more smaller venues and performers like Keb Mo, Harry Connick Jr, or Diana Krall, but we do have a few big name bands we want to see in our lifetime that will only perform at a dome or arena like atmospheres. These bands include U2, Elton John, Black Eyed Peas (more me than Kan, HA!), and Aerosmith. Unfortunately Kan had to work from home, so he did not make it. But I gave him song updates via text while the concert was going on. It was loads of fun, something I will never forget. Now if Bono and Fergie can get the memo and come to Tokyo, I will check more things off my bucket list.

I realized I did not update about Thanksgiving. We celebrated with another Japanese/American family on the Wednesday before since it was a holiday here in Japan and the men were off work. We had all the traditional southern dishes - turkey, sweet potato casserole, broccoli and cheese casserole, stuffing, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, rice (not so Southern, but Kan loves his rice and gravy at Thanksgiving), rolls, and desserts. No pumpkin pie this year, but instead I did a pumpkin dump cake which was really delicious. My friend brought two fruit based tarts that were also tasty. We missed being with family but we enjoyed celebrating with new friends and family here in Tokyo that the Lord has richly blessed us with. Oh, and to top my weekend off (and I can say this because Kan does not read my blog:) - Kentucky FINALLY beat UT in football!! It has been a long 26 years, and they finally did it! Kan was not too happy about that, but I did a little jig when he was not looking.

Other than that, not much is going on...same old same old. We put our mini Christmas tree up. Miyako LOVES Christmas this year and wants her picture in front of every tree we see. It is fun seeing her excited about it. When we got our tree up, she said, "Mama, this tree is beautiful." I laughed to myself thinking "Sweetie, if you only knew how we decorated in the US." But isn't this how we should be in life? Simple...she is so happy with our little tree. Less is more is what she taught me - try to see the beauty in the little things and quit looking for more. Be content and satisfied with what you have right now. To have the mind of a child - sometimes, is a good thing. And I will leave you with that.

1 comment:

mel said...

wanted to tell you that the Police played in Tokyo when we were there -- didn't know it at the time-- but the next day friends and I were having lunch at the Hyatt in Roppongi and literally ran into Sting. He had to navigate through our three strollers. It was a hoot. He quickly ran away when he saw the recognition in my eyes - first he was just a foreigner that I said "Hi" to, but with smokin' looks, then I realized who he was. It was then that he ducked his head and walked away. HA! Hilarious. And not a camera in sight.