Tuesday, December 20, 2011

More Christmas Fun - Tokyo Disney and Gingerbread Houses









Yesterday daddy took a half day off work and we ventured to Tokyo Disney to enjoy Christmas festivities, lights, parades, food and people! It was 50 degrees and sunny, a bit windy and chilly, but we bundled up and had a magical day. I LOVE being 30 minutes from Disney. I contemplated getting season passes but decided against it. I think we would use them, but I like keeping it somewhat of a novelty even though we live so close. I have been to Disneyland 4 times now and Disney Sea twice. I never leave disappointed, and yesterday was no exception.

We woke up and told Miyako at breakfast we were going to Disneyland for the afternoon and evening. Her response was, "Well, I have not been there in awhile." (Hence, trying to keep it a novelty and avoiding spending 10,000 yen every week at Disney!) Because we live so close and can go anytime, I do not feel this pressure to spend morning to night there and get my money's worth. I can go according to my kids' needs and what is best for them. It was perfect for us getting there at 1PM. We had lunch at home and Kei got his morning nap. We walked in just in time for the regular Jubilation parade. Right after the parade, Mickey was in the front entrance getting pictures, so we stood in line and got a family portrait (the one we paid for was much better as it did not have my hair in my face). Miyako chased down the 20 year old Japanese girls hogging Daisy Duck and finally, after about 20 minutes, got a picture with Daisy. Only in Japan would a 3 year old have to compete with 15 twenty-something girls dressed like Minnie Mouse for a picture with Daisy. But we got it! From there, we went riding...

Now, I expected loads of people, but it actually was not too crowded yet. We did Small World, or "the boat ride" first as this is Miyako's favorite and we walked on in about 15 minutes. From there, we rode a merry-go-round and the tea cups (this was done with Daddy and Miyako because Mama does not like going in fast circles). Then we ventured back to our bench for the Christmas parade and a snack. After the Christmas parade, we did more rides - new ones? No, the same three we did previously. I really wanted to take Miyako on Peter Pan, Pinnochio, and Mickey's Philharmagic, as the longest line was only 30 minutes for Peter Pan, but she insisted on riding her favorites. And really, it is about her enjoying her day at Disney. We had supper at The Queen of Hearts. By this time, it was 6:45 when we finished eating. The Electrical Light Parade was at 7:30. We debated staying, but decided to go on and leave before everyone else and avoided screaming children and the crowded train. Again, this is where my selfish desire to see the parade verses the "what is best for my kids" personality did a little battle, but it was better to not push our limits. Today I am paying for just the afternoon at Disney with a tired cranky toddler, and I am sure it would have only been worse if we had stayed for the parade. Living in Tokyo, there will be more days at Disney and when my kids are a bit older, more electrical parades. For Miyako, and the rest of us, it was a perfect day. We had a fantastic time as a family and forgot about the stresses of life for 6 hours in the park.

Today we have relaxed at home. Miyako's best little friend came over to make gingerbread houses. I forgot to get a picture of them together with their houses, but here is Miyako and her little house. It was a fun little Christmas activity.

2 comments:

Sally said...

Awesome! I got such a kick out of this post. Proof that whether adults or toddlers - Disney makes starry-eyed, excited children out of all of us. Hope you and Kan can go there on a date someday - ride Peter Pan and Pinochio, and stay for the parade. :)

mel said...

Sally has a great idea - go on a date there! And it IS fun to hear the magic in your voice. I'm happy that you were able to take that little family break together.