Thursday, January 17, 2013

Round One - Lexington, Kentucky

Round one of our US tour began in Lexington, Kentucky. The kids and I arrived on Wednesday November 28th. Daddy joined us two weeks later on scrapbook day, December 12th! It is hard to scrapbook/blog about a trip so full. We did so much in the 6 weeks we were there, but the biggest blessing of it all was visiting with friends, catching up with family, relaxing, laughing, baking cookies, running outside in large yards, and just being in America. I am from Lexington originally, grew up there, went to college there, got married there, so a good portion of my friends and family are there. I saw friends from high school, college, and from when we first got married. My old running partner drove down from Ohio to visit me. Twice! My high school best friend/maid of honor in my wedding lives 2 minutes from my parents. We took our four year old girls to the Nutcracker, had a nice lunch at the Tea Room (one of our favorites at Christmas because of their Kentucky Bourbon balls for dessert), went to the YMCA together at 5:30AM just to chat while we worked out, and made gingerbread houses with our kids. I was in Lexington for the annual "holiday" party with my high school youth group friends and got to attend the "cookie night" where the ladies get together every year to make treats and hang out. I shopped. I did unlimited Bikram yoga for 2 weeks at the very inexpensive price of $30! Mind you, one class in Tokyo cost about $30! I took in a few spinning classes, ate Mexican with a mentor, and enjoyed Harry's for a girls night with my gym buddies. I got in a run with some girls from church. I went to our old church for 3 Sundays and enjoyed the beautiful sanctuary at Christmas time. I watched some UK basketball games with the fam, hung out with my niece who is in college at UK, changed my drivers license, drove a car, took the kids to Monkey Joe's, watched Hallmark movies with my mom after the kids went to bed, drove by our old house, went to BSF, and had more play dates with friends. I shopped. I never saw a movie...not the entire time I was in the US. And I really wanted to, but in the end, I wanted to be with people more, so I am taking in Les Mis next weekend in Tokyo with some girlfriends. I ate good food at home. Mom made me my favorite fried potatoes and I had good ice cream nearly every night after the kids went to bed. My mom taught Miss M how to fly a kite. The K Man got to go feed ducks while Miss M went on a hot cocoa date with daddy. My brother and sister came down to visit from Ohio with their kids. Miss M loved my sister's dog, and would walk it around the house on its leash, thinking she was taking the dog for a walk. I learned on this trip, my kids would really LOVE a dog. But they know it will not happen until we move back to the US and have a backyard with a fence! It was so great being back. We left Lexington on Monday the 17th. When I left, I felt like I had exhausted Lexington. Sure, I could always visit more with people, but I got quality time with the people I wanted to see and some I did not expect to see. I did not leave thinking "Oh, I wish I had done that or seen this person." It was so fun being at my parents' house as well. We have stored our furniture at their place and I got to sleep in our bed, which I miss terribly. When we first got married we spent money on a nice large king size bed with a fabulous mattress. One of our best purchases ever. And it was so nice sleeping on it again, especially when little bodies found their way to it during jet lag party sessions - plenty of room for kids to have a party and mama still get some sleep. My parents live on an acre lot so you feel a bit outside of the city and it is quiet and peaceful, with wide open spaces, something you do not get in Tokyo. I could just let the kids out in the backyard and watch them play and it was so refreshing. Miss M seriously thought flying a kite was one of the most wonderful things ever invented. She had so much fun with the cheap kite from the dollar store. We also got out the sidewalk chalk and traced our bodies. Now that was a site. My aunt and uncle came down to see us and my uncle is a good baker. He helped Miss M decorate her Christmas cookies. I maybe do have one regret - not getting enough pictures. I was so busy enjoying life that I did not take enough pictures. I am sure my mom can send me some. It just was wonderful. I could go on and on...just to be back in your hometown, with so many dear friends and family...thank you to those in Lexington who made my time there so special. I sure am blessed to have such quality people in my life.

1 comment:

Aimee D said...

love the photo the second from the last of M flying the kite. So awesome!