Sunday, January 19, 2014

It's 2014...Resolutions?

So, it is officially 2014. I have been pretty silent on the blog lately. Not sure why. I usually do resolutions but I decided against it this year. A friend mentioned a blog that asked 20 questions to reflect on in 2013 and 20 questions to answer for 2014. I am still working through those but they have been fun to think through and take my time on. My goal for the year is to slow down and play more. I spend so much of my time being busy, running my kids here and there, thinking I need to be doing all this "stuff" so they can have enriched lives. However, what I saw towards the end of last year is that it was wearing all of us down, all the "stuff." So, we are trying to play more, rest at home, and reserve the fun things like museums and big outings for special days, not weekly. This is a bit against my grain because I can feel closed in our tiny apartment on the days we do not leave in the morning, but I am seeing it is good for my kids. It is a bit out of my control - the house feels like a mess on these days which makes me feel like a mess. But what I am seeing is my kids are loving it. They are playing together, fighting at times, but playing too, and enjoying home. I want my children to like home. I do not want them tired and worn out from the busyness of life. So, I guess you could say this is my New Year's resolution - to slow down, smell the roses, enjoy the picnic, whatever you want to call it. Tuesday and Wednesday we are committed to BSF. Thankfully the kids do not have to go on Tuesday as I have a sitter for my leader's meetings. Friday mornings we typically have music class for the K Man while Miss M does Japanese 3 weeks out of the month. So, I have decided Monday and Thursday mornings we stay at home and do not make any plans. If we do have plans, we invite people to us or stay local in our neighborhood and do a local park or play area. No trains on these days unless it is our monthly special outing. It is very hard for me to do this but I am hoping after a few months it will show benefits in a more energetic mama and well rested children. Here are some fun pics of us just "playing" and smelling the roses.

No comments: