Friday, January 3, 2014

Post Christmas Fun/New Year's Fun

I love the New Year holiday in Japan. I love having the husband around for an extended period of time and not really having to go anywhere. Every year we have been in Tokyo for Christmas, our friend Darlene comes to visit from Nagoya for a few days. The kids really enjoy Ms. Darlene and I think she watched The Grinch with them about 10 times over the course of four days. We also went to Yokohama one day and had lunch in Chinatown which was a lot of fun and a first for us since we have lived here. Other post Christmas fun has been picnics outside by the river, riding our bikes everywhere and "racing" each other, lazy mornings, playing with our toys and being together as a family. For New Year's Eve we spent just the four of us. The kids ate pizza while the husband and I had traditional soba noodles for New Year's Eve. We did stay up until midnight and listened to the boats blow their horns on the bay and watch Tokyo Tower switch to 2014 but other than that we did not do much. New Year's is always a bit of a disappointment here, especially since we do not drag our kids to the temple at midnight. On New Year's Day we enjoyed lunch with some friends in their home, rode our bikes around town in search of me a New Years mug from Starbucks, and the husband made some traditional foods for dinner that night that we all enjoyed. The kids have loved their toys. The K Man has enjoyed most just laying on the floor pushing a fire truck or Yamanote train around the floor. Miss M has loved her new callico critters and my little ponies. It has been a relaxing holiday and I kind of dread reality coming back on Monday. At least we still have the weekend to enjoy one another. I have more thoughts on the New Year and 2014, but for now I will say goodbye to 2013. I hope each of you had a wonderful Christmas and a bright New Year.

No comments: