Tuesday, May 5, 2009

6 Month Check Up

Well, yesterday I took Miyako in for her six month check up. She is 16 pounds and 26 inches long, very healthy and in the 75th percentile for both height and weight. We knew she would not stay in the 95th percentile for height too much longer considering her papa and mama are only 5'5". What a trooper she is...she only cried for like 30 seconds after each shot and then was back to her normal self. Today we start cereal. I wish pediatricians would give you a hand out of exactly what you are supposed to do with this whole solids thing. She just recommended I go ahead and start and try something new every five days or so. I have no idea what we are doing, but we will give it a shot. I am trying to decide when you give them the cereal...do you feed her first and then give it to her or wait a hour or so after feeding and then try. Problem with that is I do not want Miyako to be a snacker. I guess we will live and learn and see what works. Another milestone yesterday is that she sat up on her own. She is a little top heavy so she could not stay seated by herself for too long, but it was fun getting her on tape. What a big girl.

I had my first CVS adventure yesterday. I am wanting to save more and be more resourceful with my grocery shopping. My dear friend is helping me enter this coupon/saving world and I went to CVS yesterday to sign up for Extra Care bucks. They were having a good deal on coke products so I started with that. I spent more than what I thought, but I have $20 Extra Care Bucks for my next venture at CVS. My plan is to keep buying items I need with this $20 that will produce more ECB's and hopefully the savings will come out in the end. Time will tell.

I have yet to download recent pics of Miyako but once I do I will add them to the blog. Until next time...

4 comments:

Nashvillians Now said...

So glad she is starting to sit up! That will make for much better beach pictures. Ha Ha!

I have done that CVS thing and it works great. I just got really burned out at the time it took to find all the coupons, do the research, etc. However you save a lot of money. I am planning on starting back on it as soon as school is out and I have more time!

Julie said...

A helpful baby book (but it can be overwhelming, so read it a bit at a time) is Super Baby Foods by Ruth Yaron. Check your library. And, avocado is a wonderful first food - it is a superfood! As for order of eating, I nursed then fed solids - b.c b.milk is so much more nutritious than any food. Seriously.

Shepherd Fam said...

Hey Shari! Welcome to the world of blogging. It makes life much easier! It's funny, with Lewis I was very stressed about solid foods. With Owen, I just fed him kind of in between regular feedings, which turned out to be closer to normal mealtimes. He has not ever turned down food of any kind and we are so thrilled to have a child who loves eating. Anyway, bananas are a wonderful food, and you can blend them up in your blender and feed them and freeze the rest in ice cube trays. I mix bananas with cereal and all kinds of foods to help them go down easier. Most babies love them! Sweet potatoes are the other sure hit that are easy to make yourself. We use a combo of home made and store bought. Have fun! --Shelley

Hunca Munca said...

Congrats on Miyako's first sit-up! And don't worry too much about the feeding solids thing, you can do just about anything and it will all work out. :-) Enjoy!