Monday, May 18, 2009

In-Laws

Well, I just got back on Saturday from visiting with my in-laws in Knoxville. Most people hear the word in-laws and cringe, but I am truly blessed with a fabulous family. I have two sets of in-laws...one set lives in Kyoto, Japan and the other set in Knoxville, TN. I have not had a chance to get to know my Japanese in-laws due to the distance between us and the language barrier we face. I hope one day if we ever have the opportunity to live in Japan, then I will get to know them better. My in-laws in Knoxville are wonderful. While Kan has been out of town, I decided to drive down there and visit for a few days. We had a great time. Every time I am at their home, I simply relax. It feels like a vacation. My mother-in-law got up with Miyako during the evening so I could get solid sleep, and she played with her while I went jogging and shopping. We always have such a nice time simply sitting in the living room and chatting. I truly am grateful to have married into a sweet family. Also on our trip Miyako and I went to visit my friend from college who now lives in Johnson City, TN. She recently had her third child in March so I finally got to meet Case. It was a nice visit considering we rarely get to see each other. Once you start having children it seems so much harder to actually see people, so I am grateful for the time we had together. Miyako and I did well traveling for our first venture by ourselves. I think when Kan goes for two weeks I will pick someone to visit at least for a few days to break up our time without him at home. Miyako is a sweet baby and generally pretty good, however it just gets lonely around the house when you spend most of your time talking to a 6 month old. So, I figure the best way to solve that problem is to take a small road trip to have some adult company for a few days when he is gone and that will make the time pass more quickly. Let us know if you want us to come visit! She can make it about 3 hours in the car before she reaches her breaking point!

2 comments:

Melody said...

Mike and i want to go to the Kentucky Derby next year!!! We'll come visit then :)

I know nothing about the Derby...is it even possible to go if your not in a family that's been going for centuries??? Is it really expensive?

Love you guys!

volscats said...

Anybody can go to the infield Melody and it is like one big party. You see people from age 5 to 80 but it is mostly college kids a little too drunk for their own good. When I went back in the day I think it was $30 to get in. I think they raise their prices. You can also get seats online but those can get way pricey.