Saturday, May 8, 2010

Happy Mother's Day







So, everyone wants to know "what did you do for Mother's Day?". They do celebrate Mother's Day in Japan, but to be honest, I feel like a lot of days are "Mother's Day" for me. My husband does a great job of spending time with us as a family, of bathing Miyako and building our furniture, of letting me spend an obscene amount of money on a babysitter in Tokyo so I can have a morning to myself for Japanese class and grocery shopping...I could go on and on but to put it very simply, he really takes great care of our family. So today was not anything "special" but I feel like our philosophy about "Mother's Day" is the same as "Valentine's Day." We do not need a "holiday" to celebrate each other and our roles; we can do it randomly all year long. I only hope I do the same for him in regards of "Father's Day" as he has done for me all year long.

So Golden Week has come to an end and tomorrow is back to reality. Blah. We have really had a wonderful time of Kan being off and getting things done around the apartment. I am sad he has to go back to work. Our apartment is now starting to look like a home. We are so close. We probably have one more trip to Ikea and we will be finished. Kan could now get a second job from Ikea in putting furniture together. I know you probably are just dying to see pictures. You will, when the product is finished. I got my red couch! I really wanted a red chair, so on this last trip Kan bought a red cover for our two seat couch. We also bought a very large TV. Or I should say "he" bought a very large TV as I was not with him when he bought it. If I had been, we would have had a serious fight. I still do not know how much we paid for it, nor do I want to know as it could cause me to lose lots of sleep I need. However, he told me I would "luuuuuv" it. And I must admit, when we hooked up the computer sling box to it, turned on ESPN and found an old Arkansas/LSU football game on, we both got really excited about opening weekend of college football. American Idol was soooo much better this week watching it on the big screen. I just hope on our next move, wherever and whenever that may be, we can carry it on the airplane!

Yesterday we did a tourist outing. We took a water boat/taxi to an area called Odaiba. There is a man made beach there so we let Miyako walk along the shoreline. She would have jumped in if we would have let her. She loved the water (maybe she will be my little beach girl) and I was thankful for the spare outfit in the diaper bag. We also splurged on dinner and tried a place called Kua' Aina, a burger joint originally from Hawaii. It was fabulous. The onion rings were to die for! Miyako loved it because they did not have high chairs so she got to stand up and dance to the American radio station coming from Honolulu. Did I mention this place was fabulous? As we were leaving, the sun had set and the view of Rainbow Bridge and Tokyo Tower was beautiful. We took the Monorail back and enjoyed the city view at night. Enjoy the pics.

1 comment:

Shio said...

I love Kua'Aina! There's one in the shopping mall close to where I work, and also in Kamakura, my hometown.

Sorry to tell you this, but you won't be able to take your TV overseas--it can't show channels other than Japanese, I believe. Different story, if you're going to use it just for DVDs or hooking it up to the computer.