Monday, July 26, 2010

Big Buddha





So Miyako and I went back to Kamakura yesterday with the out of town co-workers from Louisville and we finally saw Big Buddha. I am growing to love Kamakura! It is an easy day trip with a good mix of shopping, temples, and my favorite - the beach! Again, Miyako had a blast. As I was holding her walking towards the water, her legs started going so fast that she could not wait to get out of my arms and run into that large body of water we call The Pacific. And we saw Big Buddha. Minnie may disagree with me, but I thought the Buddha in Nara was larger, but nonetheless, this Buddha was pretty big. Enjoy the pics.

3 comments:

Shio said...

Oh, the one in Nara is inarguably much larger. But the one in Kamakura, as one Japanese poet put it, more "handsome". If you pay 20 yen, you can go inside. Don't ask me why the extra 20 yen.

Anonymous said...

After all you have posted about it, I have decided that we have to go to Kamakura when we come! Love the idea of the beach and sightseeing!

mel said...

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3100.html

I think the major draw of Daibutsu in Kamakura is that it is out in the elements. You should see it with snow covering it... sublime.
If you walk down the street toward Hase station, you will pass my favorite place to eat in Kamakura. I wish I knew the name, but you walk up a flight of stairs to a tiny but clean and friendly noodle shop with mango lassies and Thai noodles. Yum!

I'm so glad you are enjoying it! There are many hiking trails to enjoy as the weather cools.

Have you been to Hasedera/Kannon-do Hall? It is my second favorite. You can walk from the Buddha to Hasedera...http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3101.html

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2166.html