Thursday, July 29, 2010

One of Those Days...

So, today was one of those days where I was wishing for the more simpler life - a life with a car! Now I realize in the big scheme of all the people in the world, not many people own a car. I am very blessed to have had a car at some point in my life. But in the US I was used to a car and quite frankly I missed my car today. I ventured off to play group to an unfamiliar indoor play area. I had to switch lines from the Yurakcho line to the Ginza line at Nagatcho station (the details are for my few friends familiar with Tokyo). Well, I have switched many times at Nagatcho to the Namboku line or Hanzoman line without any problems because of the provision of those fine pieces of machinery we call elevators and escalators. However, the people who constructed the Ginza line must have not been informed of such machinery as the only access was via stairs, lots of stairs, with lots of people dressed in Armani suits with some place important to be, much more important than my little play date. I did have two sets of escalators to use at one point but I made notice of the only access down on my way back would be stairs. It probably took me 20 minutes just to switch lines and maneuver between all the people. And carrying the stroller with Miyako now verses when she was a 10 month old is a bit different due to her weight gain. I am thankful for a healthy growing baby, do not get me wrong, but when carrying the stroller plus 26 pounds of baby plus a diaper bag and lunch bag with lots of people scurrying around me, it makes for a stressed out mama. So, it was one of those days. To top it off, even with my handy google map on the Iphone, I had a hard time finding the place because it was on a small lane, and we all know google can give you general locations but does not always get those little side streets. I knew I was close because my little blue dot was close to the red dot. Or is it the other way around? I can't remember because I just now started using the google map service. Nonetheless, I could see on my map I was SO CLOSE, but kept going around in circles. One of my friends finally told me to stay put and she came and found me. :)

Ah, to have a car. The luxury of a car! Maybe a year from now I will not miss my car as I will be so used to the metro. And on most days, I do not miss the car, and I enjoy the public transportation. I think I have even mentioned this in a previous post. I like not filling up a gas tank when it is 20 degrees outside or having to park a mile away from the mall entrance at Christmas time. But today I missed the luxury of a car.

I was talking with a friend who just moved back to the US from Japan about 2 weeks ago and I expected her to have some major culture shock. When I spoke with her on the phone, she was so giddy. She said she forgot how easy it was to live in the US, how familiar it is, and also what it is like to choose form 20 different options of cottage cheese. :) She said there is a freedom in the US that she did not have abroad and a sense of familiarity. But she was also realistic about being in the honeymoon phase of her return and eventually she would meet those cultural adjustments head on. But as I think about this...isn't it what we all want...a place where there is freedom and familiarity? A sense of belonging? Today carrying my stroller through the mobs of people, I definitely felt a bit out of place. It was not familiar and it was very uncomfortable. But as I write this, a soft voice reminds me that I still have my freedom, I have a place I belong, a place that is familiar...it is not in Tokyo and it is not in America, but it is with the Lord. And on that note, I can rest. Oh, and enjoy those brownies I made for our lunch guests tomorrow. :)

2 comments:

Shio said...

I went through the EXACT same experience today, going to NHK in Shibuya! Ginza line is one of the first metro lines ever built, so it's difficult to accommodate an elevator infrastructure-wise. My strategy was to lift my child up from my stroller and bring him up and hull the stroller later. Or ask a station staff or even a bystander for help. I was exhausted just getting there nonetheless :-(

mel said...

Another frustrating station is Tokyo Station. It does have some lifts, but it is such a large station. I tried to avoid Ginza station or Tokyo station if at all possible. If it wasn't possible, then I took an extra dose of patience and strength along with a side of extra time. :)
I never had culture shock upon return to the US. It just made the differences between Japan and the US more glaringly apparent. There are LOTS of things I miss about Japan on a daily basis. I even had a dream a few nights ago that I was trying anything possible to get back there.
Still, Japan with little kids is a whole different ballgame.
This day was hard, but in a long string of happy, Look-what-I-did! posts, I'd say you are still far ahead of the general gaijin experience!