Sunday, July 25, 2010

Fun Times in Kamakura










Miyako and I went home with a friend and her little boy. I think I need to give these friends internet code names as I refer to them a lot. So, we will call my girlfriend "Minnie" as she works for Disney and has introduced me to many things including how to escape from Tokyo by enjoying a day at Tokyo Disney. Let's call her little boy Mr. N. He is cute as a button and Miyako has said his name repeatedly since we left them on Friday. I think she may have a crush on him. :)

So Minnie and Mr. N took us "home" to Kamakura, about a hour away from Tokyo. And let me just say, it felt like home. Her parents' were so kind and warm and I felt like we were back in America, sitting around the breakfast table enjoying some coffee and bread, and simply enjoying fellowship. Do not get me wrong, we saw some sites, but I think what I enjoyed most was being with a family. It felt like being with extended family back in Lexington or Knoxville, and it was such a breath of fresh air.

We arrived on Wednesday afternoon and Minnie's mom set up the kiddie pool, which Miyako and Mr. N LOVED! They were so stinking cute in the little pool and it helped to cool them off in this Tokyo heat. We relaxed at home on Wednesday, enjoyed a nice dinner, and headed to see some fireworks on the beach. Miyako DID NOT like the fireworks. Let me repeat, she DID NOT like the fireworks. But there was nowhere really to go so we stayed. If I would sing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" she would get quiet and watch. Once I stopped singing she would say, "Bye Bye" which is her way of saying "Mama, get me outta here!" Mr. N thought they were pretty cool. Maybe this is one of the many differences between boys and girls.

Thursday we decided to get our hair cut. I was going to get mine colored as well but that was interrupted because Miss Priss Pooh did not like being away from Mama. I was only planning to get a little bit cut, but it turned out to be a little bit more than what I expected. However, I love the cut. It is nice and cool and I can actually wear my hair without a ponytail and survive the heat. After nap time, we put the kiddos in their summer yukatas and went to a shrine in Kamakura. For dinner Thursday night we went out for Minnie's birthday and ate at a fabulous Italian restaurant in Kamakura. I think I had one of the best meals I have had in Tokyo. It was so good I kept forgetting to take pictures of the food as each course came out. I simply dove in and ate. But I did snap a few. We first had a beautiful salad with locally grown vegetables. Then the appetizers came and I tried sardines for the first time. Miyako liked them as well, but they were lightly breaded. Anything fried is tasty right? My pasta was a cream based pasta with lamb. The main course was a special pork dish that was out of this world. It had a little bit of fat on the meat, but was very tasty. And dessert was simply delicious.

Friday we took the kiddos to the beach. We planned to go see the Big Buddha after wards, but between the heat and hungry kiddos, we opted for lunch at a place called Bill's that sat on the water. We were not totally prepared as I think it was not the most kid-friendly restaurant nor a beach attire restaurant, but they served us. Minnie said she had the best pancakes she has ever had; they were filled with ricotta cheese. I opted for a coconut toast with organic yogurt with honey and fresh fruit. Miyako and I sadly said goodbye Friday afternoon to prepare for our big day in Nikko on Saturday.

I really could not have been more encouraged with my time in Kamakura. It was so thoughtful of Minnie and her parents to open their home to us. Kan had a very busy week with work so it really helped to get out of our apartment and enjoy company for a few days. And I simply loved watching the kids play. It made me realize how much God has blessed us with this move. Usually people move and it takes a good year to make good friends and feel comfortable where you are. We moved here 6 months ago and I already have a close girlfriend who I can call upon to laugh with or cry with. That simply does not happen very often and I know it is only from God. Thanks Minnie for a fabulous week, and I hope you are not going to kill me for calling you "Minnie." I simply did not want to use your real name on the blog! :)

1 comment:

Shio said...

Great post! I really enjoyed the time together as well...it was a much needed vacation for me too, and I'm glad I had a friend to share it with. Love the pictures of Miyako pushing Mr. N! So cute. And no, I don't mind being called "Minnie", but I can see my hubby cringing! He so does not care for anything Disney. Weird, huh?