Sunday, September 12, 2010

Nagoya








This past weekend Miyako and I ventured to Nagoya by ourselves to visit a dear friend. She is American but serves as a missionary here and is friends with Kan's American family out of Knoxville, TN. I was a bit nervous about traveling on the train by myself. It took us a little under two hours to get there, but I was scared I would get on the wrong train and be in some strange city and not know how to get back. Much to my surprise, everything went very smoothly.

We had a great weekend in spite of the hot weather. It is definitely not fall here - it feels like what July is like in Kentucky right now. And I am definitely tired of it. But in spite of the heat, we got to go to a petting zoo on a small farm, see Nagoya castle and enjoy a local park. We ate tacos in on Friday night, and had Chinese food out on Saturday. I enjoyed church with our friend on Sunday morning. The only disappointing part was Miyako woke up very early for her while we were there - between 6-6:30 - and since we were on futons I could not tell her to go back in her crib! The sun rises so early here that it woke her up. It made me thankful for her bedroom without windows back at the apartment. Last night she was asleep by 7:30 and did not wake up until 8 this morning!

Miyako enjoyed the petting zoo. She liked watching other people feed the animals. The petting zoo had some random animals put together in one fenced in area - two peacocks, four deer, a large pig, and two bunnies. At Nagoya castle we treated ourselves to an ice cream cone. Miyako had never had ice cream out of a cone before. I usually get it in a cup and give her one bite for every three bites mama eats. :) From the pictures you can see she thoroughly enjoyed it. These two ladies were watching her eat it and laughing as she did so. They thought it was funny when Miyako would try to keep me from eating the ice cream. She did not understand the concept of sharing. The ladies also loved that her name was Miyako.

Saturday night we introduced Miyako to Sound of Music. She did not understand in slumber parties you lay down to watch the movie as she stood in front of the TV the entire time blocking our view. Mel, I think we might have another Maria on our hands, but it is one DVD I do not have here in Japan. :) I simply enjoyed the company of our friend. It was so nice to fellowship with her and relax in her home.

2 comments:

mel said...

I love it! And you are certainly VERY brave to head out on your own like that. Do you have a US region DVD player or Japan region? It would be easy to send you a DVD... if I knew. By the way, I haven't seen the Fall creamer flavors, yet. I'm still looking!

But I'm sorry to say I don't know how to fix your blogger problem. I don't use the blogger list. I have blogs bookmarked the old fashioned way and hop around to read them, checking in but never knowing if they are updated or not.

Dana Woods Poynter said...

Shari - I am so proud of you for traveling out and about on your own. I'm not so sure I would do it, yet, I have done lots of things the past year and a half I never thought I would have to do! I love that you are always on the go and experiencing new things - it inspires me. Thank goodness the days are getting shorter in KY. Edison thinks you don't have to go to bed until it's dark and the first thing he says every morning when he wakes up is "Look Mom, it's not dark outside, we can get up!" True, it's NOT dark outside but it's 6 o'clock in the morning!!!! I like the idea of a bedroom for a toddler with no windows - LOL.