Monday, September 27, 2010

A Visit with Grandma and Papaw





My parents arrived on Friday to lots of rain and gross weather. In spite of the weather we have had some fun. I had DVRed the Thursday night college game knowing it would be nice napping television for my dad. On Saturday we relaxed, watched football, and took naps. Saturday evening we headed to Shinjuku to a free observatory of the city and a fabulous sushi restaurant Kan and I really like. It is on the 50th floor and has a gorgeous view of the city at night. Sunday morning we watched more football. The UK/Florida game, unfortunately not a good game for Kentucky fans, was on at 7PM US time, so 8AM for us. After the game we ventured out to Asakusa to visit a temple. From there we took a hour long boat ride to Odaiba and enjoyed watching Miyako play in a bouncy play area. We took them to our favorite hamburger joint and then headed home via the monorail, another beautiful scenic view of the city at night. Monday it rained ALL day. I was so bummed. But you cannot control the weather. So, I had DVRed two pro games from Sunday - The Bengals game and The Colts game - and my dad watched football while my mom and I played with Miyako. For dinner last night we headed to Akasaka to try my favorite little Italian restaurant called Esse Due. My friend Rachel, who was one of the first people I met here, also joined us with her daughter. We had a great dinner and I was so glad to introduce my parents to one of my friends here. Today the rain was coming down again. Thankfully I taped the Monday night football game. You are probably catching a theme here - our family likes football. We did venture out to Tsukiji, the fish market, in the rain since it is close to our house and walked around, enjoyed lunch at Denny's and then headed back to the apartment to watch more football while Miyako naps. My dad may not have been able to watch ALL the games from the weekend, but he got to see quite a few. I keep forgetting to take pictures - well mostly there is not much to take since we have not seen much - but here is a couple of Grandma and Miyako playing and Papaw watching Fox news while relaxing in our apartment. Tomorrow it is supposed to be nice - no rain - finally! So we are heading to Disneyland! I will definitely have pictures of that. :)

2 comments:

mel said...

It sounds like you have done a lot! So jealous you found s sushi place on the 50th floor. What do your parents think of Tokyo so far? Our families were mostly deer-in-headlights until they returned home and were able to process it all. I hope you were able to go to DL today!! xoxo

Sally said...

Is that Miyako's purse or someone else's? Love the pic of your Mom and Miyako playing. Keep enjoying football and QT!