Saturday, October 1, 2011

If I were being graded, I would get a F

So, it is October 2nd which means my so called facebook fast is over. Well, let's just say if I were being graded on this fast, I would get a big fat F. I really had a hard time staying away! I did not post a whole lot, except to let people know we were safe from the typhoon, but I only had a few days during the month where I actually did not check it. I checked it most often in that early morning feed with Kei, when the rest of the house was quiet, and I just was curious what my friends were up to on the other side of the world before heading to bed while I was just getting ready to start my day. I think it just helps me stay connected. Which is not a bad thing. I learned though that it becomes a bad thing when you are checking it nonstop throughout the day and it takes you away from your primary responsibilities, which for me are two precious little gifts God has blessed us with. It also becomes a bad thing when you find your satisfaction, needs, whatever you want to call it, being met through facebook. As a friend posted on my blog when I first tried to do this, we are not defined by our facebook status updates. Facebook did make some changes during my so called fast and I did not really like them, so I resorted to just checking it on my phone. Rumor has it they are about to make more, and I do not really see myself having the time or energy to get to know the new facebook. So, chances are I will stick to my morning checks via the I phone and go on with my day. Continue to check the blog for more detailed updates on our adventures here in Tokyo.

I also got a big fat F in the Insanity program. My friend and I decided to both do Insanity together, her in Florida and me in Tokyo, and hold each other accountable. It is an 8 week INSANE exercise program - all cardio - and hard! I wanted to jump back into getting in shape. It is made by the same people who did P90X, beachbody.com, and is a pretty good program. I stayed with it for a good 6.5 weeks, but towards the end I was simply tired and bored with the program. I lost five pounds which is great! I still have a long way to go - my goal is to lose 20 more pounds by Kei's first birthday, so I have exactly 7 months! But I am trying to do it slowly and realistically. I could give up carbs for 2 weeks and lose a lot of weight but I would inevitably put it back on after those two weeks. I could give up sweets for a month, but the exact same thing would happen. I love food, sweets especially, so what I am trying to do is limit my carbs at night, allow myself one or two treats per week, and eat more fruits and veggies. It may take longer, but the reality is I like food and I am not going to starve myself, but I do want to lose weight and make healthier choices for our family. That box of milk duds Kan brought me back from the US - well - I ate one, and the other is in the cabinet waiting to be opened. I told myself I can open it when I lose my next five pounds! But back to Insanity - it is good and I will probably do it again in January or February when it is too cold to run outside, but it is a bit boring towards the end. Now I am just mixing it up - two days a week of Insanity, two days of P90X weights, and one run day.

It is not like me to not complete projects like these. I am usually much more disciplined and stubborn in terms of doing EXACTLY what I said I would do. But I do not feel guilty about it like I thought I would. I just will move on to the next project and keep working. Grace abounds my friends...grace abounds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

amen for grace!
FB is so hard and I hate, hate the changes and there are more bigger ones to come. Maybe a good thing in the end to keep me off of it.
I've pretty much tried to live by the rule of twice a day (unless I'm posting daisyeyes stuff and then I'm on and off) and it's funny how just looking at it those 2 times, not much happens! I also ask myself everytime I want to type a status update...am I doing this to get a reaction and if so what? or am I just sharing bc of the joy of sharing with friends. Doesn't sound like you deserve an F...maybe a c-
haha

Off to read a few 31 days :)

Nancy said...

I wouldn't give you an F for either one! First of all, when you are on the other side of the world, facebook is indeed a good way to keep the familiar close. I used to check it all the time, but for some reason, I have become really bored with it. That sounds bad, I know, but I don't know how else to name it. I like it for updates on how people are doing and I like a good chuckle now and then, but it was just so overwhelming. Since I stopped checking it - and sometimes it's days before I remember - I feel like I've missed 1,000 things already and there is no way to catch up, so, I just sign out. And 6.5 weeks is a long time on something named insane. :) I lost 24 pounds on WW over the last 4 months. The best thing is that sushi is low in points! It was hard work but really worth it when SJ keeps telling me to please buy some smaller pants that actually fit. :) You are one of the most dedicated exercisers I know. I bet you won't have much trouble at all.