Monday, January 16, 2012

New Year's Day













Kan fixed us a fabulous New Year's Day dinner with some traditional Japanese New Year's Day foods. He left out the ones he knew I would not like, mainly fish based foods, so we had mostly meat, rice and a fabulous miso based soup. Miyako tried out her Minnie Mouse training chopsticks and did quite well. She was able to pick up a piece of chicken on her first try so we were quite impressed.

I am really behind on the blog, mainly because I have been watching TV or reading books at night rather than sitting in front of the computer. But I reminded myself that more than anything, this blog is for my family to save memories, so I am going to play a little catch up regarding our Christmas/New Year's Eve "stay-cation." As much as I missed being in the US for the holidays this year, there is nothing better than a stay-cation. It was so nice to have Kan home and simply relax. The business side of Japan shuts down over the New Year holiday for several days, so my husband actually did not even check email for a few days. I do not think that has happened since our honeymoon. Seriously.

We went to the 100 yen park. You may remember me posting about this fabulous park and going down a really long slide with Miyako when I was about 6-7 months preggers with the K Man. We took Daddy back there over the holiday and Miyako had a blast showing him the park. Although, she said she does a better job going down the slide with me as opposed to Daddy. :) It was pretty cold the day we went so on our way to a friends' house for dinner we popped in Starbuck's for a hot cocoa. I also bought my New Year's Day mugs (Japan is the only Starbuck's in the world that does a special New Year's mug - when they sell out, there are no more!). Miyako loved sharing her first hot cocoa with daddy.

Another fun thing we did was go to the Natural Science Museum in Ueno Park. For those of you who live in Tokyo, this is a must do! It is a fabulous museum with really large animals, dinosaurs, and great hands-on things for kids. Just make sure you go in the newer building as opposed to the older one for the better exhibits. The price was right too! You only paid 600 yen per adult and kids under high school are free. We ate lunch there and spent the entire day there. We will definitely go back again.

Unfortunately all good things must come to an end, but it does not mean we are not having fun. We are back to our regular weekly routine. Monday we have sports class and hang out with Miyako's best little friend; Tuesday is our stay home day; Wednesday is BSF; Thursday is Nena day (aka, Mama Needs a Break Day); Friday is music class and a church Bible study, then the WEEKEND! I like being back in our routine. It helps me keep sane. Today Miyako went to sports class and did a fabulous job. They have been doing these flips on a bar and when they first started she cried every time. Today on the obstacle course, she went without mama as all the moms had to stand on the sidelines, and she did the flip on the bar allowing her teacher to help her. I was so proud of her. Grant it, it took us about 9 months to get there, but she really did a great job. Her teacher was proud of her too. The K Man is still the laid back little man I love to pieces. Both kids had ear infections over the break and he was really sick this past weekend. However, he is much better now. Tonight I let him chew a bit on a mikan (tangerine) and you would have thought I had just given him the world.

As I think about the new year and all the things I want to do, well the list just goes on an on. You know all those resolutions - exercise more, eat less, finish a scrapbook (Miyako's first year so I can actually do one for the K Man), read more, yada, yada and some more yada. This past year was full of lots of trials for our family, starting with the earthquake in March and going down a spiral from there. A lot of the challenges we faced in 2011 are lingering still in 2012. So as a resolution, or a change of attitude, I really want to focus 2012 on being present - being here today, making the best of today, and truly releasing those fears and concerns I have regarding the future. If there is anything God has taught me this year, it is that I am not in control of anything - I try, but I am not. So rather than fighting like a child and throwing a tantrum, which I am fully aware of with a three year old little girl, I want to laugh, live, and enjoy the days because these are the days to remember. (Anyone remember that song by the Cranberries? Now you will be singing it all day.:) Happy New Year!

No comments: