Monday, April 5, 2010

Elevator Frustration

When I lived in Minsk, Belarus for two years I never had the level of elevator frustration as I have had in Tokyo thus far. I maybe had a high level elevator scare when I got stuck in a four person elevator with six people, five of which were singing "Love in an Elevator" while the other person (me) was praying to our Lord and Savior to save us quickly so we would not die from inhaling the smoke coming in from Drunk Scary Eye Guy outside the door. That was scary and it lasted for about 45 minutes, but it felt like an eternity. Frustration in Minsk? No, not from the elevators anyways, because I usually did not use the elevator unless it was riding up to my apartment. When I took the metro I was carefree and never needed to worry about the need for an elevator, ramp, or escalator.

Ah, how much life changes when you have a child. Now in Tokyo I do love public transportation. I am not exaggerating. For the most part, I really do like it. It can be frustrating when you come to a station without an elevator or escalator and you have to pick up your stroller, with child strapped in, and climb the stairs. But for the most part I can find some sort of handicap accessibility and I do just fine. So believe it or not, my frustration does not lie with the few stations without handicap or baby friendly services. My frustration is with those healthy people who can very clearly walk upstairs or take an escalator and they choose to take an elevator, leaving no room for those of us who really NEED the elevator. I just do not understand it.

Today Miyako and I went to a station that normally has two elevators, but one was under repair which left us with one to use. When we walked up I noticed it was going to be pretty crowded, especially with one elevator down. Did we make it on? Nope. We had to wait for the next one. Did any of the 15 people who crammed into the elevator need the elevator? Yes, actually, one elderly gentleman with a cane. The other 14 people (I am probably exaggerating in my frustration as I do not know how many people this elevator actually holds) were middle age working Japanese people who simply chose to ride the elevator rather than take the stairs or take an escalator (mind you which serves the same function as an elevator - you get on, it takes you up, and you do not have to climb one step). One lady did give me an "I'm sorry" sheepish grin as she was the last one to cram in. No problem. I will just wait forever for it to come back down as older elevators can move at a snails' pace.

Now, I know in the US I have driving frustrations, like when people leave their turn signal on after they have turned and it did not shut off. Seriously, does that clicking noise not just annoy the heck out of you? It does me, so much so that it helps me to realize the turn signal is still on and I turn it OFF. On the flip side here in Tokyo I have public transportation frustrations regarding elevator use. Every Thursday when I go to Japanese class and do not have Miyako or a stroller to think about, do you think I wait to use the elevator? Heavens no. I do not even take the escalator. I take every chance I can get to use the stairs. It is so freeing to not have to wait! I just do not understand why people who are completely able to take the escalator or stairs choose to wait for the elevator. And, even if I did take the elevator without really needing to, and I saw a woman with a baby in a stroller or a handicap person come to the door, I would probably offer to get out so they could get in as they obviously need it more than me. Obviously this frustration does not play into effect inside apartment buildings as some of us live pretty high up and even without Miyako I do not want to climb 48 flights of stairs. But you get my point.

Kan and I have discussed this a lot lately as we notice it all the time. When he came home tonight I told him my "elevator frustration" story and he said that maybe because they walk so much here (some people walk 15-20 minutes just to get to the metro), they simply want to take a rest and use the elevator. Then he said, "But it is still unbelievable and I don't get it." It is not wrong, just different, right? Maybe so. But some things I will never understand...like how you can continue to leave your turn signal on after you have turned and you hear that annoying clicking noise telling you it is on. Or, how you can take an elevator when there is someone waiting who actually needs the elevator and you have the full capability of taking the escalator (which requires no physical exertion) or the stairs.

Ta Ta For Now, and GO BUTLER! ABD, right? Points go out to the person who knows what "ABD" means. If you have read The Herald Leader lately, reference a John Clay article.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

I don't have to look at the H-L, I know it means ANYBODY BUT DUKE! :)

Donny said...

Ahh, Smoking Evil Eye Guy. That was a great memory.
Us: Heather, tell that guy to stop blowing smoke into the elevator!
Heather: I can't!
Us: Why not?
Heather: He's got an evil eye!

Shio said...

Oh! I share the same frustrations. It's always the middle-aged men that are the worst, aren't they?

mel said...

And don't you love how they look at you like YOU are the one doing something wrong? And d@*^ if those elevators aren't the slowest things in the world!