Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Salon Service

Today I went to get my hair cut and colored...finally! Normally at home I went to the salon every six weeks or so. I called it my "therapy." Take a good Hollywood gossip magazine, sit in a chair for two hours, and enjoy some therapy with my hair dresser. So, needless to say I was long overdue for both therapy and a new cut and color. I was starting to see gray and the ends of my hair were starting to look like straw.

So, I went to a place in Roppongi Hills called Zooto. A husband and wife run the shop which is rather funny since Kan and I saw a husband and wife hair team back in Lexington. Yes my husband got his hair done at the same salon as me back in the US because "most people do not know how to cut Asian hair." In fact, he introduced me to the salon, but here in Tokyo he can see a barber. I, on the other hand, can go to the fancy shop since "most people here do not know how to cut Western hair or I cannot speak enough Japanese to explain the color I want and I do not want to come out with blue or purple hair." A friend gave me a coupon to this place for 20 percent off your first visit so I decided to try it out. I was not disappointed.

My hair dresser back home had fortunately given me the color code she used on my hair and he was able to match it today pretty well. He could see where my hair dresser at home had layered my hair and he followed along those lines. Overall it was a very good hair cut experience. The service was quite extravagant. I was served hot tea and given three English Hollywood gossip magazines which was a real treat. I did not quite get "therapy" like I did back home, but I did get all caught up on Kate Gosselin's latest in Dancing With The Stars :) and Sandra Bullock's scandalous husband :( all while listening to Alicia Keys in the background. :) :) HA, I may need some real therapy after reading all of that trauma.

The shampoo alone was about 20 minutes and included a head massage. At one point I had three people working on me - one to hold the color, and two to put it on. When they realized I would be late to the babysitter, the hair dresser called in for help and I had two people drying my hair at the same time so I would not be too late. Service - that is what Japan is all about. The only disappointing part was the fact that it was pouring down rain as I ran home, literally, so as not to be too late, and now have wet head post the hair dresser. The best part about getting your hair done is the style for the day, but that was ruined out in the rain. Oh well.

On a Miyako update - for the past three days she has not taken her nap. Instead she sits in her bed and talks to herself or sings. I am not sure what the deal is. Without naps she goes to bed earlier and is sleeping 13 hours at night. But with her naps previously she still slept 12 hours. Any suggestions? I am hoping this is just a phase because when we do not get a nap it makes for a long evening as she is a bit more cranky than usual. She is also getting a little more comfortable with our babysitter. YAY! She screams when I leave but as soon as they get outside she is fine and she is now playing with the babysitter more inside, which is good. The babysitter feels like they are making progress and she is seeing Miyako respond to her in Japanese. The babysitter told me today that Miyako loves music and whenever she sings to her, she quiets down. They told me the same thing at the nursery in BSF - she stops crying when they sing songs. So, maybe we have a little musician on our hands.

6 comments:

Raegan said...

Mallaney used to have similar nap issues. My advice is to persevere! We went through those phases a lot, but I never gave in and she always went back to sleeping. I think if you continue to put her down, she'll eventually start sleeping again. Good luck!

Julie said...

I agree with Raegan. Persevere. We had issues, too. He would scream the entire time. Eventually he went back to napping. PTL.

mel said...

I agree with the other girls. And I am so proud of you for biting the bullet and going to a real hairdresser. I never was brave enough.

Sally said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sally said...

Woops, let's try this comment again. How about a picture of your newly styled, highlighted hair? :)

Karen said...

Kan is right - most people here do not know how to cut Asian hair (hence my sad sad hair history until I found a good stylist in college!). I never thought about it being the opposite in Japan! Glad to hear how well you guys are adjusting!