Thursday, April 15, 2010

A New Side of Tokyo

Tonight I got to experience a new side of Tokyo. Some girlfriends decided to meet for dinner at a fun little quaint Mexican restaurant. When I say fun it had Christmas lights hanging in the room. When I say quaint, it had about 6 tables. It was a very fun night and I fully relaxed and enjoyed some good girl time. But the side of Tokyo I got to see was not so fun. It was the people leaving work at 10:30 and riding home on the train. See, usually when I am out, it is never past 8PM as I need to get Miyako into bed. But tonight Kan let me go out and I was in the hustle and bustle. Everything you read and hear about the Japanese people working hard and long hours is true, for the most part. The people on the train with me tonight were not leaving a girls night dinner. They were leaving work and heading home, at 10:30...suits, high heels, brief cases, and tired faces...all to get up and do it again early tomorrow morning. Japan does have a high suicide rate due to the pressure people face with work and within society. The side I saw tonight was not so fun. It made me sad to see so many people doing this. I mean, the train was fairly crowded and it was 10:30. Sure there were a few of them who were laughing and smiling as they probably had a few drinks after work. But for the most part, the faces I saw looked tired...exhausted...I want the people here to know a greater purpose and love to live for than work. I hope in some small way God can use us here to draw people to Himself so they can experience freedom in Christ and His love.

2 comments:

Sarah-Jane said...

I love your heart for the people Shari!!

Cindy's World said...

And that's why He brought you here! Because He wants the same thing! God's rich blessings on you as you shine His light by living in the freedom and love that are ours in Christ! (Make sure you keep an intentional prayer support in the States too...the darkness in Japan is thick...it can't overcome the light...but boy, oh boy does it sure try!) Come visit us in Fukushima sometime! I would love to meet you in person...until then I will keep praying for your ministry in Tokyo!