Sunday, April 18, 2010

Routine...Life...

So often when I update the blog it is about a fun event or activity we did, or just a simple observation on the culture. Rarely do I give an update on life here, and how the volscats family is holding up. As I listen to the ocean waves of the sound machine and wait on the Santa Clause of Ikea to come deliver some more furniture (YAY - a bookshelf, desk, standing kitchen cabinet, and dresser are in route to our apartment as I type) I thought I would take a minute to update you on our family life here in Tokyo. It is becoming more normal with each passing day. I forget when, but awhile back ago, I forgot counting the "weeks" of when we left the US. I used to measure things by "oh, we left three weeks ago" or "it's been four weeks since we got on the plane." Now people ask me how long we have been here and I have to think about it, trying to figure out what today is, and think back to how many months ago the end of January was. So in that sense, we are settling in, even though our apartment does not look like it, and establishing a life here, a routine, which is something the "cats" part of this family thrives upon. I love structure, routine and consistency. I do not love transition, which has been what our life has been since we decided to embark on this journey and started packing up our home last December.

We have things we do weekly which adds some stability to our schedule. We will typically always be at church on Sunday afternoons at 3 (well, okay - 3:15 - we are still late to church here:). Priss Pooh and I will always go to BSF on Wednesday mornings, catching the 8:56 train, praying that it is not too crowded, and coming home around 1 in the afternoon. Thursday mornings I will always be going to Japanese class and on the fourth week of the month when we do not have class I will be taking three hours to myself to shop or get my hair done without Miyako while she gets her own Japanese lesson with our babysitter. And Friday mornings we will be heading to our international weekly play group to enjoy the company of other moms and kiddos. That leaves Monday and Tuesday mornings open to hit a kids hall or see some sight of Tokyo or just relax in our apartment. However, I typically like to do something with someone to just get out of the house in the morning because once we are awake from our naps in the afternoon we do not have much time to get somewhere and back before dinner. After naps, on most days if the weather cooperates, we head to the park, play, stop by the grocery to pick up something to cook for supper and have our evening routine of dinner, play, bath and bed. So, I am establishing a routine and it suits me well. On the good nights, Papa is home around 7 and can get in some good play time with Priss Pooh before she calls it a night. I have stretched her bedtime to 8 now so that he can enjoy her a bit more. On the bad nights, when Papa has to work pretty late, she tends to be put in bed right at 8, maybe even a little before, as I am usually spent by that point and I turn on the Sling box to enjoy some American TV. If I do not have anything recorded, the only thing on is morning news or reruns of The Fresh Prince of Bel Air on TBS, but it is better than Alf reruns in Japanese.

Miyako-chan is as sweet as she can be. Kan often tells people she has adjusted the best of all of us. All that matters to her is that Mama and Dada are around. She is enjoying the new toys from the shipment and loves to pour me tea from her fake teapot. People continue to stop me and tell me how cute she is. Last night we went to a pizza joint after church with another couple and she was a hit with all the waiters as she toddled around the restaurant. She is still only saying a few words. I hope this means she is picking up some Japanese in her head as she hears both languages. She really is a sweet little girl and is very playful. It is fun to watch her personality start to develop. She has a shyness about her that is rather cute and yet has a quirkiness playful spirit, which I think definitely comes from her Papa. Well, I hear little bit now waking from her nap so I best sign off here. Until next time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite post since you started blogging from Japan. The ordinary and mundane are sometimes the most beautiful parts of life. You are such a good mommy for keeping Miyako active and in a good routine.
Love you,
Katrina