Friday, August 6, 2010

Tokyo Midtown Summer Water Festival



Tokyo Midtown is a park/office complex/dining area located in Roppongi Hills in the center of Tokyo. During the month of August, the park is hosting a water festival with a laser/water show in the evenings and a place for people to relax their feet in a nice water pool. Upon seeing the advertisement on Thursday when my classmate and I went to an art exhibit, I thought this would be something Miyako would LOVE. Don't you remember my child LOVES "watie" and could drink salt water for the rest of her life if I would let her? So, my classmate and I along with Minnie and her family went to see this laser/water show tonight. Kan unfortunately had to work late on a Friday night (I still do not understand having bi-monthly meetings at 5PM on Friday nights).

My classmate and I got there early to enjoy a mojito (Bacardi had a booth set up:) and let Miyako wade through the water. After about 5 minutes, she wanted to be held. I was surprised she was not enjoying it at all. The only thing I can think of is that there were some rocks on the bottom and she was scared of them. So, we ventured down into the park for the water/laser show. Again I was thinking this would be fun for Miyako. She loves water and will enjoy the colorful lights. Well, I must have been holding the wrong child tonight. :) Mr. N LOVED it. In fact, he and Minnie were pretty wet after the event as he wanted to be in the front where most of the water went. Miyako simply held on to me for dear life and kept saying "Bye Bye, Bye Bye." Miyako and I stood in the back and she kept her head buried into me. The only thing I can think of is that the scene being dark and having lights reminded her of the fireworks she did not really enjoy when we were in Kamakura. Maybe she thought the water would make large boom noises like the fireworks. The show was only about 15 minutes so I made my child suffer through. She did enjoy one thing tonight - the p-nut butter frozen yogurt we had after wards. Her papa would say she comes by that honestly. :)

1 comment:

mel said...

That sounds wonderful! All except the scared child... And right in my old neighborhood! Sad for me but happy for you!