Wednesday, November 3, 2010

5 Years Ago Today I Married a TN Fan...

and my life has never been the same. :) I will be honest y'all...never in my wildest dreams did I think I would marry a UT fan. It comes pretty close to marrying a U of L fan, maybe even worse for those who bleed blue. I can remember very clearly my first UK/UT football game with Kan. We had only been dating about 2 months and his sister and brother-in-law brought their eldest son (who is now a freshman in college but at the time he was not even 10) up to the game. The game was tight y'all. I was so tense I had to go up to the bleacher behind me so I could be by UK fans. It came down to the wire and I think the ref missed a call, but that is besides the point. You know the story...UK lost at the very end and UT still has the longest winning streak over a team...we are going on 24 years now I think.

Through the past five years of marriage, 2 years of dating, one year of a "break", and one more year of dating, we have seen lots of UT/UK games together. And we have made it! I've worked my way out of having to sit with him at some UT/UK basketball games by going with a friend and giving him the season tickets my dad has to go with his buddies. Makes me look like a good wife and we can both watch the game in peace. :)

On a more serious note, I feel so blessed to be married to Kan. He is stable and consistent, and he loves me and Miyako well. He works hard, very hard, to provide for our family. It reminds me of my dad - he put in lots of long hours to take good care of us and provide for our family - and Kan does the same thing. I love that we enjoy the same things - lazy relaxing vacations, live music, good food, hanging out with friends and family, and sports (even if we cheer for different teams). Most importantly, I love to see his heart for God, to hear him pray with Miyako before she goes to bed, to see him serve the church in the little spare time he has, and to see him seek out the Lord as to where and how he should lead our family.

It has been a fabulous five years. I look forward to many many more.

3 comments:

Sheri said...

Happy Anniversary!

mel said...

What a sweet post! Happy Anniversary! I hope you snuck away for dinner together in Kyoto or Hiroshima.

Sally said...

Happy anniversary! I still think that when you and Kan wear your respective team colors - you look like you could be Florida fans. :) If you ever get a chance to take a stroll down memory lane on your blog, do tell about your wedding day!