Monday, April 11, 2011

April 11, 2011




Well, we marked the one month anniversary of the earthquake today with...you guessed it, another earthquake. I think the magnitude at the epicenter up north was 7.1, maybe higher. We did feel it in Tokyo. I was cooking dinner when the alarm went off. I immediately grabbed Miyako and called Kan. He helped me remain calm and said he would be home ASAP. It really was not that bad, but to have it happen exactly one month later, with a similar day as March 11th for us, kind of freaked me out. And as you may recall, the 11th of each month is my scrapbook day. Miyako was a champ. She did ask to go outside, but she did not cry. I told her we were having another earthquake and she needed to sit with mama. She asked to go to the Snoopy house...this is the neighbor who took us in during the last earthquake. Miyako refers to it as the Snoopy house because they gave her a towel with Snoopy on it. Little did they know, Snoopy is her FAVORITE!

Today we had Miyako's sports class. It was a beautiful morning so we met our friends who are in class with us at a nearby park beforehand. After class we went back to the park with a bento lunch, just like we had done on the day of the earthquake one month ago. We actually discussed it at lunch and how similar the day was. I guess we jinxed ourselves. After lunch, we came home and Miyako watched a Snoopy video. I never realized how much drama is involved with Charlie Brown and his gang. The particular video Miyako likes right now involves Schroeder playing lots of piano which is why she likes it. However, Miyako does not understand the love fight going on between Schroeder and Lucy - Lucy is crazy about Schroeder and he keeps telling her over and over he does not like her. So, she tries to get him a piano recital to make him like her. Like I said, drama. But Miyako just likes to watch Schroeder play the piano so she can play "just like Schroeder."

I should record a little bit about sports class. Miyako is really enjoying it. At first she was very intimidated as the main teacher is a male. But today she had a lot of fun. She still wants to be held some times and I cannot do everything with her at 37 weeks pregnant, but I am glad to see her enjoying it. Plus it is nearby our house so it gives us something local to do which I will need once I have two kids and it will be harder to move about the city. Next week Kan is going to go with us to check it out since he will be taking her during the month of May while I am recovering from baby K's arrival.

I have changed nap time, as of Saturday, to "rest time." Reality is Miyako was not napping. Before we went to the US, she was content laying in her dark room and talking to herself for two hours. But once we got past the jet lag naps back in Tokyo, she was not very happy during nap time. Do I wish she would sleep? Yes, but she isn't. So, I have changed the routine to "rest time." She has to lay in her crib for 90 minutes to two hours with a small light on in her room. She can have her stuffed animals, a few books, and her favorite Japanese lullaby CD on during this time. She loves it, so far, and it gives me a break. Even though she does not sleep, she gets some down time as do I, and we are trying to get to bed a little earlier since she is no longer sleeping during the day.

The rest of our day was just a normal day. We watched a little NHK Japanese kids TV after rest time, took a bath, had an earthquake (well that is not really normal, but these days it is), ate dinner, cleaned up toys, read books and went to bed. We are 19 days away from D day - I am a bit overwhelmed at everything I need to get done before the baby comes. At the same time, I am so over being pregnant that I do not care if I do not get everything done. I was pretty productive during rest time today, but as a result my email correspondence has slipped. You may not hear back from me as quickly as I am trying to organize as much as I can. I wanted to finish Miyako's scrapbook before the baby...that may never get done...but if I can get toys cleaned out by the end of this week, I may be able to finish that little monster of a book before Baby K comes. The head is down but not engaged and we go to the doctor every Tuesday. So, tomorrow I get to see him or her again!

As for today's pictures, the only one I took was of Miyako talking to her daddy on the phone. I would post it, but she is butt naked in the photo. I am not too comfortable putting that on the internet. I will post a few from April. Miyako is into pretend play a lot these days. One day for breakfast Anpanman had to eat his breakfast with her - his breakfast consisted of rice crackers. She is also saying some pretty funny things. I started a quote journal to write these things down so I do not forget them. The other day she was pretending to drink out of a green plastic pitcher and I heard her say, "I'm having a Starbuck's coffee." I am not sure where she heard that. :) She also counted to 20 this month with help from me. She makes me laugh and is such a sweet little girl, when she wants to be. :)

I should sign off for now. Kan is home and we are relaxing watching some Wings - yes, the show from like the early 90's - it is his all time favorite sitcom and we own every season on DVD.

No comments: