Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Closer to my heart

The earthquake was brought closer to my heart today as I met a lady who lived where the epicenter was and had evacuated to Tokyo. She lost her home and most belongings, but her two sons and husband all survived with her. After talking to her more, I found out her husband works for the infamous Tepco electrical company who is trying to resolve this whole radiation issue. The woman broke down in sobs as she talked about the frustration he is experiencing at work and how when people find out where he works, he gets ridiculed and blamed for the issues taking place at the plant. Friends, it broke my heart. It reminded me, that these workers are human, doing their best, and most of them have lost a lot already. I came home and told Kan how it just got to my heart - seeing her pain and how this is affecting her family - and then remembering how many more people are hurting and struggling just like her. Suicide is high in Japan - and as time goes on and the country continues to struggle in the aftermath of this earthquake and tsunami, I was reminded to pray for the emotional stability of the people affected so severely. And to pray for their hearts to find comfort in the true God who loves them and cares for them so much - so much so that he sacrificed his only Son for their sake. I was burdened today for those who continue to suffer so much more than the rest of us - may God be glorified through this and show Himself to them.

No comments: