Thursday, April 24, 2014

Easter Sunday

So, on Easter Sunday I checked facebook and saw loads of pictures of friends back in the US and their children in matching cute outfits at Easter Egg hunts in large backyards. There was a tiny part of me that was jealous. I used to be all about getting a new Easter dress each year when I was younger and even wore the sleeveless dresses and hats if it was snowing outside on Easter Sunday. So, I get it and it was a part of my life. However, four years after living in Japan, and I thought nothing of getting my kids Easter outfits for Easter Sunday. In some ways, I miss the excitement of it all and the beautiful flowers decorating the sanctuary on Easter Sunday. But in other ways, I have seen God's love in ways I never thought I would living in Tokyo and being part of our church here. As I worshiped Sunday afternoon (because we meet at 3:00PM due to a building rental) I was overwhelmed with the true meaning of Easter - the love of my Savior who did the unthinkable - who died and rose again for my salvation. I am not saying that getting the new Easter outfits each year is wrong. What I am saying is I am thankful God has given me a chance to see more of His love as He builds His kingdom in Tokyo. It is humbling that He chose us to be a part of it for this time in our lives. And we did have an Easter Egg hunt...at the Imperial Palace park so I say we had quite a bit of land to hide eggs in. Too bad the emperor did not join us. After the egg hunt, we walked to church together, enjoyed lunch as a congregation, and then worshiped the King. It was a fabulous Easter for 2014.

1 comment:

Hunca Munca said...

Love hearing about your Easter, Shari. BTW I didn't buy my kids new outfits as neither one really wants to wear fancy clothes and it's more of a battle than it's worth! I think you really got to the heart of what Easter is all about anyway. Thanks for posting.