Thursday, December 16, 2010

21 weeks

Well, I went for our 21 week appointment today. I will be honest, part of me really wanted to find out the sex of the baby. I even contemplated finding out and not telling Kan since he could not go to the appointment today due to back to back meetings all day. But if you know me, you know that I CANNOT keep a secret, especially from him. If I buy him a Christmas gift early, I will hint at what it is all month because I get so excited about it. Not sure why I get excited since I can never pick him out anything; he is one of the most particular men I know to buy for. Noticed I said "particular" and not "picky." I guess he is particular with women and he chose me so that is a good thing right? But I digressed...back to the appointment.

We got the 3D images today. I love that in Japan you get an ultrasound at every appointment. My doctor measured the abdomen, the head circumference, the arm, the leg, and checked the four chambers of the heart. Not only do you see the baby every month but you get to take it home with you on DVD! So fun. As he was measuring the leg, I did try to take a sneak peak. But who are you kidding - I am not a medical professional and could not tell what he was looking at, so maybe when Kan gets home and we watch the DVD again I might try to look at it a little more closely. Even if for some reason we accidentally find out what this baby is, nobody will know but us. We like it that way.

Miyako was a surprise. In fact, I was convinced I was having a boy. No real reason - just thought it was a boy. So, we had our boy named picked out but had not really decided on a girl name. We took our three baby book names to the hospital with us that night just in case we needed a girl name. Good thing we did because when she graced the world with her presence and Kan said, "It's a girl!" I responded with, "But we do not have a girl name picked out!" I had me some good priorities huh? We liked the idea of a surprise. Plus it is easier that way - nobody hounding you on the name, telling you their opinion of the name, and it really was fun anticipating the moment of Baby K's arrival.

But this time it is a bit different. I have more of a desire to know what the baby is. I guess part of me wants to know for Miyako - will she have a brother or sister to play with? Will they look alike? Will she try to change his or her diaper like it is her own baby? I know I will enjoy having this baby immobile for awhile as Miyako keeps me very much on my toes, but I told Kan I look forward to when they are like 5 and 3 and watching them play together. But alas, we did not find out and once our minds were made up I am okay with it. Let the wagers begin.

Everything else with the appointment went well. They gave me the beloved glucose juice to drink before my next appointment! We are also hoping to take Miyako to that one so she can see the baby on the actual ultrasound. It depends though on Kan's schedule as the station exit for the doctor's office is not so stroller friendly and at 25 weeks I do not want to be picking that stroller up! I am measuring at 21 weeks and have gained 13 pounds from my start date. Not too shabby for half-way. Miyako also made some steps today. I was grateful for our Dutch friends who let me drop Miyako off today while I went to the doctor. Miyako did really well at their home. I told her both last night and this morning she was going to their house to play while Mama went to see the baby. I thought she would be upset when I left as she had never stayed there without me, but she was very happy and content. Such a good thing - she is confident that mama will come back for her and she can enjoy herself anywhere. Sigh though - she is growing up. We are truly blessed to have such dear friends like that close by to help out with things like this. God has provided for us above and beyond anything we could ask for or imagine. To him be the glory for all of these things - friends in Tokyo, a growing little girl, and a healthy new baby to come!

3 comments:

Carrie said...

keep it a surprise! don't give into the temptation! :)

We sound exactly like you... have the name book packed for the hospital, as it seems like one of the first things that will be occupying us post-birth, most likely!

Nancy said...

I always said that it's just as much of a surprise at 20 weeks as it is at 40. :) And every single thing about #3 was a surprise! You know, I had so many ultrasounds with the boys that I could really tell a lot about Bella's, but I doubt I could have told she was a girl without help. I am so excited for you!

Raegan said...

I'm with you! it's great to have that surprise, but was MUCH harder the second time! I held out, but felt like it would have been easier to prepare Mallaney had I been able to specifically say, "Your baby brother, Max" when talking about him....although the name would have changed a few times!