Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A Beautiful View




I love the view in our apartment. This morning we woke up to clear skies and snow covered Mt. Fuji. Our view really does help us escape the hustle and bustle of the city.

Not much has been going on here - just living the day to day. Never thought I would say that here in Tokyo. Day to day for us is play groups, Bible study, church, relaxing on the weekends - kind of like our day to day in the US only we take public transportation and pay in yen. I am so glad though that I have a day to day in Tokyo - that life here is becoming more normal, and I am beginning to feel more settled. It really does so much for the mind.

One thing Tokyo has is a lot of good food. And you know I love food. Saturday night Kan and I went on a date and tried a Mexican restaurant in Roppongi Hills. We were a bit skeptical as we LOVE Mexican food from the US and did not think a Mexican place in Tokyo would be quite the same. All I wanted was chips and salsa (and a margarita but that was out of the question). All Kan wanted was a corona. Well, I got my chips and salsa and a DIET COKE on tap, and he got his corona. The food was really good and we thoroughly enjoyed our little find. I also loved walking back to the subway at 11 and all of these men in Roppongi asking us if we wanted to go dancing. HA! Look at me - pregnant belly, it is 11:00 and it is now way past my bedtime. Boy how times have changed.

On Monday night some of my girlfriends from our Friday play group went out to dinner to celebrate a birthday and Christmas. We ate at a place called Ristorante Frick in Omotesando. I had already eaten dinner with Miyako but partook of the delicious desserts. If you want to see more of the beautiful dishes, go here... http://www.frick2008.com/

Miyako has moved up in the BSF class and now LOVES it. On Tuesday she brought me jeans, a shirt, and matching socks and said, "Bible study tomorrow." I hate to see what she will be like when we are clothes shopping at age 13 if she is already picking out her clothes at age 2! She is starting to talk more and more. She prays at night for "Nana, Opah, Mama, Daddy, baby, Grandma, Papaw, Oji-chan, Mommy-chan, Pink baby, Anpanman, white roar (her white Tiger from the Singapore zoo), roar, and Minnie." I am glad we cover all of our bases with the prayers! It is so cute to hear her pray with us. Tonight she asked for more oranges and I told her the word for it in Japanese and she used that word as well. She loves to run and wants mama to run with her. She perks an attitude quite frequently, but what two year old doesn't? Her naps are becoming a little bit more sporadic, but she knows she has to be in her bed from 1-3 or 2-4 depending on the day. Her favorite DVD currently to watch is The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown. I keep trying to show the Christmas DVD but she wants The Great Pumpkin because the dog goes on an airplane ride. She is enjoying her Little People manger scene and each day we end up missing a piece. Today it is the shepherd. I am sure he will turn up back on the counter in a day or two. Joseph and Mary actually went on an airplane ride this past weekend in her Little People airplane. Joseph was the pilot.

The city is full of lights for Christmas. Last night we met up with some friends and other moms at Tokyo Midtown park and saw a light show there. There is also another one in Shiodome we hope to hit before Christmas with Kan. I was a bit worried about there not being much Christmas spirit here since they do not really celebrate Christmas in Japan. New Years is the bigger holiday. But the city really is decorated quite a bit and in our mall next door they have had Christmas music on since the end of November.

Well, it is late. I am tired. And I still have Japanese homework to do. Good night all.

1 comment:

mel said...

So jealous of your Fuji-san! We only had views of Roppongi and Midtown.