Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Tokyo Disney Christmas 2010
















On Monday the weather was beautiful - sunshine, blue skies, and a high of 60 degrees. So, Miyako and I ventured to Tokyo Disneyland on our own. It was a big day full of lots of fun. We got there at 11 and took in the Christmas atmosphere - lights, Christmas music, large decorated trees - it was gorgeous. We went straight to Pooh's Hunny Pot to get a fast pass for this ride. Then Miyako asked for the "boat ride." You may know it as "It's A Small World." We rode that and then the horses (merry-go-round) and grabbed some lunch. After lunch we enjoyed Super Duper Jumpin Time with the Disney characters and found a seat for the parade. God blessed us with a bench so I could take a little rest. Miyako wanted to be held quite a bit while standing in lines so my lower back was in need of a rest. The couple we shared the bench with were very nice and the lady bought Miyako a churro which she gobbled up. Miyako loves the parades. Her eyes get huge as she watches the big floats and characters come by. Did I mention I was thankful for the bench?

After the parade we went back to the boats and horses. Can you see a theme here? We rode them each three times, but I did not mind as the lines were not long and she enjoyed it. It is not really about me having fun; it was for her. I wanted to take her on other rides like Peter Pan or Dumbo, but the wait times were about 40 minutes and I just did not have the energy to do those by myself. She kept asking to go on the tea cups, but I told her she would have to do that with Daddy next time - those make Mama a bit sick. We did our fast pass for the Pooh ride which she enjoyed. At times I think she was a bit scared when it got dark but she never cried. Her eyes would just get real big. We were blessed again with seats on the ground, but in the second row, for the Christmas parade. Disney really does everything exceptionally well. After the parade we went back to the boat and horses. At this point it was getting a bit dark. I asked Miyako if she was ready for dinner and she said "No, home." I asked her again if she wanted to stay and she said, "home." So, I thought I would listen to my 2 year old and not push her (even though I really wanted to stay for the electrical parade at 7:30). We headed towards home, and this is when our real adventure begins.

Knowing I would be pushing a stroller, carrying a toddler, and keeping up with our belongings for the entire day, I wanted to try to consolidate as much as possible. I put all of the diapers, emergency clothes, and snacks in a backpack. Tokyo Disney is very safe. You leave your stroller outside a ride and come back and nothing has been touched. So, I decided to keep my phone in my coat pocket and keep my money, ticket, and metro pass around my neck in my little Disney pass holder thingie my friend gave me. Kan walked us out that morning (he always sees us out the door when he is still home and we leave before him) so I had no need to lock the door; thus, no way to realize I left my key in my purse. Yes, I left my key and did not realize it until I was at the grocery at 6:30 with a tired two year old.

I knew Kan was expected to have a late night - he said he would be home between 10-11. I first called our Dutch friends and asked if we could come hang out at their house. I needed to make sure I got Miyako somewhere warm and fed before she got really upset. Then I called Kan and by God's grace I caught him before he went into his dinner. He said he would do his best to leave between 8-8:30. Well, he did his best, but with this being an end of the year party, his best got him home around 9:30. Miyako was a trooper though. She played pretty well at our friends' house and did not have her breakdown until I was brushing her teeth. She finally got in bed at 10 and slept until 9 this morning. Poor thing. The benefit - I did get a good nap out of her today for 2.5 hours!

It was such a fun day with my sweet girl. I love being so close to Disneyland. You really do forget about everything when you are there. I had considered getting a year pass this year but now I am glad I waited a bit. It would be hard to do by myself the bigger I get. However, if we are still here when Miyako turns 3, and it looks like we will be here a bit, I think I will invest in it before she is 4 and I have to pay for her a pass too. She really does love going to "Minnie's house." And I love watching her enjoy herself.

1 comment:

mel said...

What a day!! I can believe you were tired. and WOW so happy that you know your neighbors! Still, it sounds like you had a truly magical day! Hooray!