Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Decision

Well, we have made a decision. For now, I am going to take the train tomorrow to Kyoto and stay with a friend from seminary for about 5-7 days, if she will have Miyako and I that long. :) My doctor did give me a note to travel internationally. From what we have read, I can travel up until 30 days before my due date on most flights, so I have until the end of March. We ran through several options - go to the US with a return ticket of March 30th and if things get worse then stay there; go visit a friend in Hong Kong for a week; go visit a friend in Sydney for a week; or go somewhere more local like Kyoto. For those of you who do not know, Kyoto is south of Tokyo. I will be 450 miles southwest of the radiation plants. My friend said everything is running normally in Kyoto. They are not having aftershocks. There are no issues there of power loss or food shortage right now because they run on a different electric company than the Eastern part of the country (Japan is divided into East and West - Tokyo is considered East). Kan and I both feel like it is best to give it another week or so and see if life gets back to normal here in Tokyo. We have sought wisdom from a man we trust who has professional experience in the nuclear industry. We have prayed earnestly. The reality is I do not want to be too far from Kan. And I do not want to fly back to the US and then back to Tokyo in ten days by myself with a two year old if things do in fact get better. Because I have a couple more weeks travel time frame, we thought it would be good to get me out of Tokyo for awhile. My friend speaks Japanese so I will not be alone in that sense. The city is running like normal. We believe that it is either going to get really bad in the next five days or start to get better in Tokyo. If we see it taking a downward slope, at that point, we will meet in Osaka and fly back to the US together. We appreciate your prayers.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My brother and his wife moved back to nj and there house here is vacant and ready for you if you should need. I love you so much and have been praying for you and the family. Call me when you are awake if you can. <3 melissa alvarez

Sally said...

I can only imagine it was hard to arrive at this decision, but now that it's made, I hope it helps give you peace. You, Kan, Miyako, baby K, and all of Japan are in my prayers constantly these last few days and there you'll remain. Safe travels.

Gay said...

I was glad to read your post as we have been in constant mind of you and your family. Glad to see that you will be going south for awhile to see what may be your next move if there has to be one. You and Kan are smart people and I know that common sense and prayer will help you with each and every step you take. God bless you along your path.

Heather Morozov said...

Shari, We are still praying for you guys and will pray for God to give you wisdom. I had my girls I teach preschool with pray for your family specifically yesterday. More than anything, I pray for Jesus to surround you with His peace so you can rest during your waiting time. Love you.

Melissa said...

Hey, Shari. I'm so glad that you all are doing okay and have come to a decision. Thanks for sharing so openly about your struggles. I will be praying through some verses from Isaiah for you (I've been in BSF this year, too!).

Kim F. said...

Continuing to pray for you, friend. Love you so much.

Sarah-Jane said...

Praying for you all Shari.Please let us know what we can do when you get here. so sorry that you have to leave like this. I can only imagine the turmoil.
Love you.
sj